Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011
Mondofromredondo

mondofromredondo is on a distinguished road
Anchor chain combo

Hello to all,

First I am not trying to start any debate on anchoring as I know how that can evolve. I am curious as to the anchor / chain combo people are using on their PSC 34's like I have.

Currently I am using 180' of 5/16 BBB with a 45# CQR.
Been thinking about upping to 300' of chain and possibly routing the chain aft to a locatoin under V birth. Or maybe simply to the chain locker.

I'd be curious as to any FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of this amount of chain stacked up in the locker. Also any FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of any difficulties with an electric windlass stacking this much chain in PSC 34' locker.

Thanks to all!
Keith
'88 PSC 34'
S/V Charity Rose
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2011

BluesHarp is on a distinguished road
We have 200 feet of 5/16 on our 34 and when I put in all back in recently after marking the chain, I had to adjust the pile in the locker. It would pile up too high to fit more chain without pushing it around to make room for the drop of more chain. Additionally, the chain locker divider has been cut back slightly and covered with a heavy duty wire reinforced rubber hose split in two to help protect the divider from wear.
Old 08-10-2011

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
Keith,

We cut back from 300' of 3/8" to 240' for a few reasons: save weight, make it stack below the pipe and because we were never using more than 240' anyway. You can shorten scope to 3 to 1 when you anchor deeper than, say, 50' (see Eric Hiscock, Miles Smeeton, etc.). There is so much weight out there you will never lift the chain behind the anchor off the bottom, although you will lift 5/6" closer to the hook than 3/8". I have always based my choice of chain size on weight, not strength. If you have the weight, the strength follows, especially with HT, though BBB is fine.

Since we rarely use more than 180', even in coral waters, we put the first 60' (10 fathoms) on the port side of the divider and the rest in the main part of the locker. Our 180' of 3/8" stacks with no problem that way. If we use more than 180, it draws from the port side and we have to lead it back to there when weighing, but this is rare.

One other tidbit: if you sail the hook out in any kind of breeze, the chain will not stack, but this is not always possible.

As to electric windlasses. Can't say. I took the electric windlass out when we bought the boat and put in a Muir manual. Never gets hot.

Dave
PSC 34 #305 "Swan"
Old 08-10-2011
Mondofromredondo

Just the kind of info I am looking for

Thanks so far guys!
This is exactly the kind of info I want.

Dave,
Not sure u remember me. I'm the fellow who purchased Mike Chings boat up in Ventura. Was having trouble on maiden voyage deploying Jib. U were kind enough to help.

Thanks and please keep the input coming.

As I haven't looked very extensively under the V Birth I'm not really sure what I'll see. I know I have a holding tank on port side and a water bladder on stbd side. Does anyone know if there is room for anchor chain storage if routed in a clever manner?

Keith
S/V Charity Rose
'88 34' PSC
Old 08-10-2011

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
Hi Keith,

Yes I definitely remember you. Charity Rose is a beautiful boat. It's good to see she is getting used and your having fun with her.

Dave
Old 08-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Am I the only one to think that for general use 180' of chain on a 34'er should be more than adequate ?

On Raven (34' 6.5t) we had 35m (115') of chain. I would have gone to 50m (165') in the long run but I don't see that for her intended purpose I'd ever need more than that. Yes, it would be nice to have twice that but you surely need to draw a line appropriate to the size of the boat.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-11-2011
Mondofromredondo

tdw-

I am quite sure you are not the only one that believes 180' of chain is adequate.

However this thread was created to hear from others the anchor chain combo that they are using. In addition to hear of any chain storage issues or alternatives they have dealt with.

I have already determined that I want additional chain as my preference.

Thanks much
Keith
Old 08-11-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofromredondo View Post
tdw-

I am quite sure you are not the only one that believes 180' of chain is adequate.

However this thread was created to hear from others the anchor chain combo that they are using. In addition to hear of any chain storage issues or alternatives they have dealt with.

I have already determined that I want additional chain as my preference.

Thanks much
Keith
Fair enough of course. Who am I to question ... oh never mind.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-12-2011

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
I cruise the southeast US, and with 90' of chain/150' of nylon, I rarely end up putting out the nylon, other than Charleston/Cape Lookout with 25' depths, most anchorages are 10' or less.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 08-13-2011

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
You are right Tee Jay, it all depends on where you are going. From New Bern North Carolina to either Baltimore or the southern Bahamas we have seldom used more than the 100' of chain that is on our main anchor. When we did put out some of the 250' of line that follows, it has never been more than the length of our 30' chain snubber. Why carry the weight if you are not going to use it? Chain is expensive, heavy, hard to mark, and needs re-galvanizing every few years.

By the way, is there some way to train the galvanic corrosion gremlins to attack the cheap inch thick zinc hull anodes rather than the expensive microns thick zinc galvanizing on the anchor chain?

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34