What do you think about starting a Pacific Seacraft Owner's Association? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011

bobdugan is on a distinguished road
What do you think about starting a Pacific Seacraft Owner's Association?

My wife and I finished up a three week cruise in Maine, and we saw many Pacific Seacrafts during the cruise... we had some great conversations with their owners. The last week of our cruise we spent with the Cape Dory Owner's Association NE Fleet... which was a lot of fun... so now I'm wondering about a Pacific Seacraft Owners Association...

What do all of you think?

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2011

BMLipiec is on a distinguished road
I like the idea! I'm surprised it doesn't exist already.
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2011

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
The biggest advantage I can think of with an owners group is buying power for parts or discounts on marine items.
Good idea,
Erika

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~Ocean Girl~~
~~Mrs. Rain Dog~~
1989 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 Hull# 142

Old 08-16-2011

lagniappe is on a distinguished road
I've been looking for a proper Pacific Seacraft owners association. I had heard rumors that one existed in the northwest US, but never found them. I am always open to learning from others who have "been there and done that".
Old 08-16-2011

I'm thinking about the best way to start this up...

maybe collecting boat names, addresses, phone numbers, emails of the owners interested in becoming part of the PSOA (Pacific Seacraft Owners Association)... would be a start.

I'd love to meet up with owners in my area (Northeast) and I don't see any reason why that couldn't be replicated in other areas as well. The meeting could be for socializing and planning a cruise next summer... heck if I got enough interest we might be able to do something small this fall.

I think the discounts from retailers/marinas/etc. is a great idea too.

Bob
Old 08-16-2011

For starters...

if you are in the Northeast, have a PS of any size, shape, or color, and you'd be interested in getting together with other PS owners either on land or at sea... send me a pm with your email and cruising grounds and I'll start making a list.

In the fall we're moored in Salem, MA and we'd be happy to set up a local weekend rendezvous. When it get's colder we'd be happy to set up a winter meeting to plan something fun next summer.

Here's hoping this works out!

Bob
Old 08-17-2011

steneck is on a distinguished road
Folks,

In some ways, this forum does much of what an association would do except we do not physically meet.

However, that was not always the case. Long before I was a Pacific Seacraft owner, Mike Mitchell (now deceased) would hold PS rendezvous weekend at his Coveside Marina in Christmas Cove (South Bristol) Maine. The ones I remember were held in the early to mid 1990s I think. Nevertheless, I recall how impressive the fleet was - I suspect my envy of that fleet culminated in me eventually buying a PS 34. I do know that several boats rafted and exchanged questions and ideas. There were big tables of PS owners in the Coveside restaurant. There was a lobster feed and I suspect some alcohol was consumed.

As we consider this association (which is fine as far as I'm concerned), we might think of holding a few regional gatherings next summer. Nothing big - but it might be fun to compare notes.

If there is any interest in doing this in Maine, I can help set things up. I'll just leave it at that and see if this idea has any "legs" so to speak.

Bob Steneck
1992 PS 34 Alaria
Christmas Cove, ME
Old 08-18-2011

ralopata is on a distinguished road
Just as a point of reference, such gatherings are feasible. If my aging memory serves me, there was a rendezvous in 2006 at Galesville on the Chesapeake Bay that grew out of this listserve and was organized through the efforts of some owners (particularly Tanya and Jay Ankers (sp?) former owners of PS34 INDIGO) and with the help of Crusader Yachts who were then the dealers for PSCs in the area. It was well-attended and, despite some seriously rainy weather, I believe a good time was had by all.

Probably the greatest impediment to such gatherings is that we tend to be a voyaging group who wander far and wide and may not all be near the same place at the same time...still, it's worth a try if some energetic soul (i.e., not me) wants to try and wrangle us together somewhere sometime.

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46
Old 08-18-2011

svjobeth is on a distinguished road
I agree this board already serves much of the purpose that an owner's association does, particularly on national/international levels, with one exception: face time. My wife, a public-relations professional, always stresses the importance of face time.

Regardless, I'm certainly interested in seeing something start, and regional groups are a good beginning. I'm in Savannah, GA, and am happy to volunteer however I'm able.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 08-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by svjobeth View Post
I agree this board already serves much of the purpose that an owner's association does, particularly on national/international levels, with one exception: face time. My wife, a public-relations professional, always stresses the importance of face time.

Regardless, I'm certainly interested in seeing something start, and regional groups are a good beginning. I'm in Savannah, GA, and am happy to volunteer however I'm able.
I agree... I'm wondering how many PSs there are here in the Northeast... I saw quite a few at docks/moorings/anchor on our Maine cruise... (btw we thought about Christmas Cove as a potential stopping point on the cruise) I think there's potential here.

Bob