SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Dinghy for PS 34 cutter (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/77605-dinghy-ps-34-cutter.html)

oceangirl 08-15-2011 10:53 PM

Dinghy for PS 34 cutter

I realize this topic has been discussed before but was hoping to get some ideas for a Rib that will fit on deck of a ps34 with cutter rig in place. We measured 9'4" from stay to mast, so why can't a 9'2" zodiac fit? Someone mentioned the only rib that does well is a 7'10". Is that due to the dorades? Rain dog will not have the high dorades but low profile micro vents.
I am torn between a nice clean deck ( therefore a roll up stowed down below) or a nice stable rib that we can run up on a beach.

We thought to borrow a dinghy or two to see for ourselves but thought I'd post here too, you all are always so helpful.
Cheers,
Erika

svjobeth 08-18-2011 10:45 AM

Ah, the dinghy dilemma!!

When we bought Jo Beth, she came with a gigantic 12' Caribe RIB and 15hp Yamaha. Obviously, this was too big to put anywhere on deck. The ancient Caribe also had a huge number of problems and we finally gave it away. I traded the Yamaha to a friend for a beautiful bronze sextant, and bought an old-fashioned inflatable floor boat from West Marine with a 4hp Mercury ob - on sale.

It's our temporary solution.

One of the problems that the old Caribe had, that many RIB's will develop is a wet hull. They can become extraordinarily heavy when this happens - and yes, it's a case of when, not if, the FRP portion of the hull becomes saturated with water. Simply moving it around on the dock was problematic. Lastly, repairing the inflatable pontoons can be difficult too, (our Caribe would hold a full inflation for about 2 hours, max, on a hot day), particularly close to where the pontoon and hull join.

Remember too, on RIB's the pontoons can extend past the FRP portion of the hull for several inches. LOA measurements can sometimes be a little misleading. The angle of the RIB, when propped on the coachroof, may create issues with the fit as well.

We've opted for the clean-deck option and to carry a hard dinghy under the boom. Or so we think. We're still looking for one we like, and one that fits.

oceangirl 08-18-2011 11:51 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Will let you know what ends up fitting there. I really like to keep a clean deck but remember what a pain it is cruising day to day with a roll up. I've noticed most cruisers end up with a rib, though they may not of started cruising with one, sigh.
Cheers,
Erika

cheoah 08-20-2011 12:48 AM

dink

Hi Erika, we have a roll up with a 3.5 Tohatsu, it works great for us. We're on a mooring so we rely on it for everything, but I don't do a lot of long distance travel in it. It's all relatively easily handled by me when I'm alone. I'm thinking of going to the smallest Honda OB; getting the motor on the dink from the rail can be sketchy in a bouncy anchorage. The freeboard is noticeably higher than my Cape Dory was...and the blown disk doesn't help. :rolleyes:

Eager to learn what hard dinghy people put on their 34's. My eyes are peeled for the perfect boat for stowing and rowing. Of course I'll have to set up some rig to splash and haul.

samchristo 08-20-2011 12:50 AM

A nesting Gig Harbor Navigator will fit behind the mast. We have one but decided to not take it cruising as putting it together in anything but calm conditions is a bit of a challenge. But it is a truly fine boat.
So we took our Avon rollup until it died and recently replaced it with an Achilles rollup. We like the more durable floor as we carry around bikes and other things that like to make holes in boats.
The RIB's are nice and fast but they are also very heavy and very bulky. We opted for easy to launch and store and decided we're really not in that much hurry to get anywhere.
Good luck,
Sam
s/v Grace PSC34

teejayevans 08-20-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheoah (Post 764565)
. I'm thinking of going to the smallest Honda OB; getting the motor on the dink from the rail can be sketchy in a bouncy anchorage.

FYI: When I was looking at the Honda OB 2.5 last year, they could not sell it unless you bought it with the boat, I tried several places, don't know why. I ended buying the Suzuki 2.5 instead, both are about the same weight.

My dink is showing it's age, I'm currently patching it now. There is a foldable boat (porta-bote.com), the downside is I don't think you could be it together on the deck.
Tom

ralopata 08-20-2011 12:18 PM

Another option is a dink with a high-pressure inflatable floor. They're a bit lighter than wood-floored models and some come with an inflatable keel that also helps them get up and go. The high-pressure floor is quite firm and stable once you get it pumped up.

Since we don't like to tow the dink offshore and like to keep the deck clear, we deflate ours and stow it in the lazarette offshore (but we have a larger locker on the 40). We've had a Bombard (a brand which I think was manufactured by Zodiac) for about 10 years that we've been pretty happy with, but it's mostly been used for short-distance travel in fairly calm waters.

For long-distance trips that are often necessary in the Caribbean, I'm not sure it would be adequate.

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46

cheoah 08-20-2011 12:54 PM

dinghy

Thanks for the tip on the gig harbor and Honda OB. I said my dink was a roll up, but it does have a high pressure floor. It's a west marine deal I paid less than $1000 for and weighs around fifty lbs.

Chase

TohatsuGuru 08-29-2011 01:46 PM

For information purposes only.

280 Dynamic Light RIB 2011 Model White Hypalon Free Shipping - Solution One Maritime LLC

You could go either PVC or Hypalon....PVC has limited life compared to Hypalon.

niftynickers 08-30-2011 01:03 AM

Hi,
Aboard our 37 we have had a West Marine (Avon) hypalon HP280 since 2002.The HP stands for high pressure floor.This dink has been used and abused and my only complaint is with the rubstrake that has come unglued twice.It no longer looks pretty but it doesnt leak and has never been stolen.Rolled up it stows well on the foredeck in front of the mast.With a 6 hp engine it will plane with one passenger which is important in the Bahamas where the anchorages are far from town sometimes.
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139