SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hurricane Irene

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  orientalnc2010 
#1 ·
Riding out the storm in Little River, SC. Good hurricane hole marina here in Coquina Harbor. Extra lines and fenders out and sails removed. Should be no problems here but concerned for our friends further north in the direct path. Be safe and stay low!!!

John S
PSC 34 #201
Norstar

#2 ·
John,
Just spent 2 days stripping NiftyNickers of everything on deck.Its amazing how much STUFF a cruising boat accrues over the years.She's on the hard in NJ and the insurance is paid up.I finished prepping her today and as I walked away I said Via con Dios.I've done all that I could.6 years of cruising could be finished tomorrow thanks to Irene.
NJ is in the bullseye--Goodluck to us all.

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

#4 ·
JUNO is on the hard in Rock Hall, MD, along with at least two other PSCs, GRACE and AISLING. Finished removing canvas, storm tying the main yesterday, and stowing stuff yesterday and headed for (we hope) higher and drier ground. During Isabel, the surge was high enough there to float some boats off their jack stands. Let's hope everyone catches a break with Irene (what is it with these I-named storms anyway?).

Safe wishes to all,

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46

#5 ·
My barometer here in New Bern, NC hit a new all time low. I had left the pointer at the low when the eye of Charlie went over our house in Calabash. It was 29.1 then. The new low we saw when the eye wall of Irene went over was 28.45 inches. I am going to leave the pointer there, and hope that I never see air pressure that low again!

Neal Schwartz
Bluesharp
PSC 34 #279

#6 ·
We came down to New Bern August 16 from our home in Tennessee to spend a couple of weeks catching up on maintenance and sailing on the NC sounds. We were in Bath on the 23rd when it became obvious that Irene was coming, and we returned to Northwest Creek Marina. After doing all the usual preparations (including 13 docklines), we returned to the mountains leaving behind a marina that looked much like a writing spider's web. Sunday I drove back to New Bern to check on the boat. All was well. Nothing at all on the boat was damaged.

The barometer took a dive as the eye of the storm passed just to the east of the marina.

The water rose almost to the tops of the pilings in the marina handily beating the previous record water levels set by Ophelia, Floyd, Dennis, Isabell, and Fran.

The marina staff worked during the entire storm adjusting docklines and except for a few minor dings and scrapes I saw no other damage to the boats in the marina.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes

#7 ·
#10 ·
Irene

I,m happy to report that NiftyNickers was safely on the hard when Irene came to call.The water rose about 12 feet on the surge and then the wind switched and blew the water away.We are keeping NN in NJ this winter as my wife is still recuperating from her illness and doesnt feel well enough to cruise south this winter.In the spring we'll be off again hopefully.But wait here comes Katia!!
Holy mackeral Batman!another one!

#13 ·
Hi All,
Cloud Messenger rode out Irene on the hard in Oriental N.C. with no damage at all. Like everywhere else around here the surge was huge (approx. 9 ft. here on Whittaker Creek) and We got to within 24" of a "self launch"......Cloud Messenger shifted in her stands but stayed put.
Pamlico county took a pretty good beating, there is damage and debris everywhere.
David Schachter
Cloud Messenger
PSC 37 #293
San Francisco CA
Back in the water in Oriental NC

#14 ·
Maryland's middle Eastern Shore pretty much dodged the bullet with Irene -- her pass took water out rather than a surge, so the only issue was the wind, reported 60-or-so knots at our marina in Rock Hall. JUNO and GRACE are back in the water. Didn't see her crew, but GRACE looked ok. JUNO suffered no damage, but we could have used a leaf blower to get all the storm debris off her and out of any small opening the wind could blow it into. Three days of cleaning and putting her back together have taken care of that and we're ready for some fall sailing.

Hope everyone fared as well.

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46

#18 · (Edited)
Some of the boats on the hard at McCotter's in Little Washington didn't fare very well. They were actually launched as the water rose and set down in the parking lot.

I left Kon Jeni Al (37) tied up with double lines and spring lines at Carolina Wind. She did very well, only having one line chaff through. (Good thing we doubled up). Some of my neighbors didn't fare so well. They were moored, or anchored out in the small bay in front of Little Washington where other boats broke free. Three were totaled. One neighbor anchored his liveaboard catamaran up a small creek where it dragged anchor into some trees. I understand the crew commissioned to rescue her dragged her across some logs and ripped out her hull.

Carolina Wind will have to rebuild the dock, but again, fortunately for me, the pilings holding Kon Jeni Al did their job.

My home is in Davidson. Sounds like there is a cluster of PSC owners in W.N.C.

#17 ·
All looked fine at our NJ/Raritan Bay mooring after the storm until we went out on Saturday and found that Irene gifted us with a "Nascar Special" rudder: we could only turn left. The rudder had been pushed past the stop and was jammed in place.

Have now added lashing the steering to my storm prep list.

#19 ·
Wnc

Great to hear from sailors here in western NC. I'm near asheville. MC, where's your boat, down Adams? Clubfoot? The poster from davidson, sounds like you're in L Washington? Can't reference your post on iPhone app. Would love to meet all of you sometime. Until then, best of luck with storm season- it is a haul to the coast.

Chase

#22 ·
Checking in after Irene, Ryoko spent the hurricane in Pecan Grove Marina located in Oriental. No damage to report, put on lots of lines, fenders, fender boards and had a bit of luck.
Irene was our first hurricane with Ryoko and our first hurricane in NC since relocating here 4 months ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.