SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Traveler Replacement - 1984 PSC Crealock 34 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/80287-traveler-replacement-1984-psc-crealock-34-a.html)

svjobeth 10-30-2011 05:29 PM

Traveler Replacement - 1984 PSC Crealock 34

Hello all-

The time has come to replace our complete traveler unit - car, track - the whole nine-yards. We're curious if anyone here has undertaken such a task.

At the same time, we're also planning to change out the associated running rigging, including the mainsheet blocks and of course, the traveler control line and the mainsheet itself. Our main halyard, topping lift, and reefing lines and sheaves are to be replaced as well.

Any input that can be offered, we're all ears! :)

Thanks!

samchristo 10-31-2011 05:32 PM

We replaced our traveler (and running rigging) a few years back with no problems. We bought Schaefer products to match the old hardware and left the old track in place. Schaefer said they could bend a new track but, if memory serves, it was a bit pricey. We didn't like the new (metal) jam cleats but Schaefer replaced those with the old (plastic) style for no cost.
We bought everything online at Rigging Only and found them to be very knowledgeable and reasonably priced (we have no affiliation).

Good luck,
Sam s/v Grace PSC34#163

niftynickers 10-31-2011 05:46 PM

traveler

We replaced our very tired traveler 2 years ago with a unit from Garhauer.I retained the old bridge (over the companionway between the pillars) but replaced the track and cars and blocks.Very reasonable and beautiful stainless construction.You can view their catalog online at Garhauer Marine Hardware -3303612.
Much less expensive than Harken.
Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

svjobeth 11-01-2011 08:26 AM

Thanks Sam & Chuck -

I spent a few minuets on the phone with Thumper at PSC reviewing the installation details. So far, so good expect we've got to free up a very seriously corroded and stuck headliner zipper in the galley.

We've decided on a Garhauer traveler and mainsheet blocks as well; we're probably going to replace the sheaves in our boom (for the reefing lines) and at the masthead. I'll do my best to document the removal and replacement and post here and at my blog.

Thanks again -

svjobeth 11-20-2011 11:10 AM

Update:

Sorry to not have posted something a little more current on this project. Life and the necessity of earning a living (by which we are able to support our habit!) always finds a way to interfere.

The old, tired, and dangerously worn traveler is off and disassembled. Measurements have been taken and the new components ordered. We're also replacing all of the mainsheet blocks, the mainsheet, our main halyard and masthead sheave, our reefing lines and sheaves, and installing proper lazyjacks.

The traveler un-install basically went off without a hitch. A few of the bolts required some coaxing with PB Blaster, and an impact driver had to be used on two of the bolts securing the traveler track to the curved bridge piece. The only real casualty was the short panel zipper in the galley overhead liner. It was badly corroded and after days of gentle nudging and bathing in vinegar and Blaster, it simply crumbled. We cut the zipper tape in order to get access to the traveler bolts. A new headliner has been a planned future project; now, a bit nearer-future. In the interim, we'll just suture the panel back together when the new traveler installation is done.

For a variety of reasons, we're confined to mostly coastal and bay/sound sailing for the foreseeable future. We've decided to remove the inner forestay and sail Jo Beth as a sloop until we're sailing offshore on a more consistent basis. We dug out our old 120 genoa and it will be going to the sailmaker for an inspection and (hopefully) installation of a new sun cover. If the sail is too tired to justify the cost of a new sun cover, then we'll look at replacement with a used sail. The running backs need replacing anyway.

That's it in a nutshell. I'll do a blog entry this next week while we're at the in-laws for Thanksgiving.

I hope all of you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday!

niftynickers 11-21-2011 04:34 PM

Traveler replacement

We also had the zipper problem on NiftyNickers and also have a headliner rrplcmnt in the future.In regards to the running backstays, this past May I needed the services of a riggers help with a headstay problem and while at the boat he did a rigging inspection and made suggestions for safer offshore sailing.This rigger is the same that does the pre- race inspection for the boats in the Carribean 1500 in Hampton,Va.These guys are very knowledgeable and experienced with off-shore boats.One of the items that they pointed out was the running backstays.They suggested that the wire portion with the shackles should be about 6' shorter and that the lower 6' should be Spectra or some one of the aramid lines.The Spectra is stronger than the wire and in the event that the lazy side is not attached to the deck fitting is less lethal should it come loose and start swinging around.I have experienced that shackle flailing around accidently and its not fun trying to get it under control.
Just something for you to think about while doing the backstays.

Good luck and Happy Holidays,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

svjobeth 11-22-2011 10:43 AM

Dianne & Chuck -

There's a lot wrong with our running backs, aside from age, that needs to be taken care of. We're seriously considering going the Spectra route, though not necessarily for the reasons you mentioned. Shortening the wire does make sense.

Thanks -

svjobeth 11-26-2011 08:21 AM

The blog is finally updated - part I of 'A Traveler's Tale' is posted. Part II, which deals specifically with the traveler removal, will be posted next weekend. The link is in my signature, below.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

svjobeth 01-17-2012 03:16 PM

Our blog is (finally!) updated with the last portion of our traveler removal. The new traveler is here, and now that Lisa and I are recovered from the holidays, this and other projects will continue.

Adventures of the Sailing Yacht Jo Beth: A Traveler's Tale, Part II

svjobeth 01-23-2012 07:38 AM

We picked up the new traveler components this weekend...and what a thing of beauty it is. I almost want to put it in a glass case on a pedestal with a rent-a-cop to guard it 24/7, and not fit it to the boat. Almost.

The Garhauer gear looks and feels really beefy, substantial, and well put together. Nice and hefty. And the price couldn't be better. A new traveler assembly, all new blocks for the mainsheet system, new bails, and two proper snatch-blocks have us in for less than $2k.

Since we've decided to proceed with other projects ahead of the traveler to get the boat live-aboard ready, we'll be doing a dry fit test in the next few weeks. I'll post accordingly.