Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Norstar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Cutlass bearing replacement

While diving and cleaning the bottom on our 34 this past summer, noticed the cutlass bearing was spinning and loose inside the stern tube. Not good!!! Made arrangements for a quick haul out to repair and just wanted to share some lessons learned. The old bearing was secured with 2 set screws set 180 degrees apart and dimpled into the brass casing of the old bearing. Somehow it apparently worked the set screws loose and started spinning. While hauled and on the hard, pulled the Max Prop and easily removed the old bearing. This I understand can be a real challenge when stuck in the stern tube. When installing the new bearing, I left about 3/8" sticking out of the tube. Drilled and tapped 3 holes set 120 degrees apart and secured with set screws making sure the set screw did not protrude into the rubber inside of the bearing. This should make the next bearing change out much easier as I can grab the end with some channel locks and twist out. The old bearing had been installed for over 10 years and had quite a few hours on it. Checked and re-aligned engine after the boat was re-launched. Hope this helps someone else facing a similar situation.

John S.
PSC 34 #201
Norstar
Attached Thumbnails
Cutlass bearing replacement-p8160055.jpg   Cutlass bearing replacement-p8190012.jpg   Cutlass bearing replacement-p8190013.jpg  
jameswilson29 and BluesHarp like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2011

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing the information John; I'm keeping a watchful eye on my cutlass bearing and am always interested in hearing about replacement projects on PSC34's. The pic's are very helpful.
Old 11-17-2011

DoubleEnder is on a distinguished road
Nice write up!

On another note I just bought a new/old boat that has a maxi-prop just like yours. No paperwork on the prop. How do you maintain/grease the prop? I believe the newer ones have an access port that you put a grease fitting in but I don't see one on mine. circa 1987

Also is the one zinc enough or should there be one on the shaft also?

Appreciate any help,
Brian
Old 11-17-2011
Coastal Carolinas

Norstar is on a distinguished road
Brian,
My prop has 2 set screws on the main hub that can be replaced with a zerc grease fitting. You can see them in the 2nd. photo. I understand some of the older models did not have this feature. An additional zinc on the shaft would be a good idea as well. On our boat the space in front of the prop hub is a little tight. A donut zinc would probably fit however. I just change my Max Prop zinc more frequently and keep an eye on it.

John S
PSC 34 #201
Norstar
Old 02-08-2012

Kutter is on a distinguished road
You know you can also now get composite bearings that can be bedded on epoxy, so they don't need press fitting. Epoxy bedded bearings have been fitted without grub screws without issue.

I hope you put some epoxy on the threads of the grub screws, this prevents vibration loosening them some heat and the epoxy softens allowing removal.
Old 02-08-2012

Pegasus34 is on a distinguished road
Brian,
You can go to the web site for Max Props (pyiinc.com) and they have a lot of information available.
Steve