Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011

bobdugan is on a distinguished road
Winter Boat Project: Tank Monitor for PSC34

Hi,

I bought the SCAD tank monitor panel, the exterior tank monitoring strips for the holding and water tanks, and a rheostat replacement for the mechanical gauge on the fuel tank.

Tank Monitors | Technologies LLC

Has anyone else used these exterior tank monitoring strips? Do they work? Practical Sailor seemed to like them. I'm wondering if the fiberglass molded tanks on the PSC are too thick. I thought I'd ask before I did the install.

While replacing the mechanical fuel gauge, I tried my best to clean the tank... I found about 1/4 cup of hard pebble-like black material... that was scary. That stuff would have clogged the hose, not the filter, so it would have been very difficult to track down. I could only get to some portions of the tank because of the baffles... I'm baffled by this. Anyone have a strategy for getting to the rest of the tank?

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2011

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Bob, I used the internal tank monitor that comes in a PVC pipe. My tank tops are 1/2"PVC so I just drilled them and tapped them with a 1" tap. Seems to work well and was easy and only protrudes slightly above the top of the tank.

Now for the fuel tank, I have questions, but no answers. I plan to have my tank cleaned this winter and I'm wondering about your access plate and baffles. I have one access plate on the aft starboard corner of the tank. What about yours? How is it attached and sealed? What is the configuration of the internal baffles? If I just add another access plate to the port side, will that allow full access?

Thanks,
John
'91 34
Old 11-30-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Funny I got the same monitor at the boat show and plan to install on my holding tank this offseason. Hope it works!
Old 11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnharch View Post
Bob, I used the internal tank monitor that comes in a PVC pipe. My tank tops are 1/2"PVC so I just drilled them and tapped them with a 1" tap. Seems to work well and was easy and only protrudes slightly above the top of the tank.

Now for the fuel tank, I have questions, but no answers. I plan to have my tank cleaned this winter and I'm wondering about your access plate and baffles. I have one access plate on the aft starboard corner of the tank. What about yours? How is it attached and sealed? What is the configuration of the internal baffles? If I just add another access plate to the port side, will that allow full access?

Thanks,
John
'91 34
I was concerned that the PVC pipe would stick to far above the tank top that sleeping on it would be uncomfortable... what do you think?

I have the Scheel Keel tank so slightly less volume than the regular keel tank. The gauge is mounted inside the inspection port plate. The inspection port plate is located center, aft, about 5" from the aft side of the tank. The plate has a number of screws which must be removed, and a rubber seal (that had completely degraded). As part of the upgrade to the new rheostat gauge, I'm replacing the seal with a new one that I made from a large piece of rubber, punched holes for screws, and will seal with Permatex 29132 Motoseal.
Old 11-30-2011

johnharch is on a distinguished road
I was concerned about it protruding too far as well, but but by carefully controlling the depth of the pipe threads tapped into the top plate, I was able to get it quite tight with little protrusion. I have the deck under my cushions covered with Dri Dek panels and cut a circle out in them around the sensor. It barely extends above them. I was/am still a little concerned about the exposure of the wires, but it hasn't be a problem. I'll get a photo when I go down to the boat today. I was going to use the external ones also, but I just didn't like the exposure and placement on my configuration.

What kind of rubber are you using for the seal? Do your baffles only run for and aft or are there lateral ones as well?

John
Old 12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnharch View Post
I was concerned about it protruding too far as well, but but by carefully controlling the depth of the pipe threads tapped into the top plate, I was able to get it quite tight with little protrusion. I have the deck under my cushions covered with Dri Dek panels and cut a circle out in them around the sensor. It barely extends above them. I was/am still a little concerned about the exposure of the wires, but it hasn't be a problem. I'll get a photo when I go down to the boat today. I was going to use the external ones also, but I just didn't like the exposure and placement on my configuration.

What kind of rubber are you using for the seal? Do your baffles only run for and aft or are there lateral ones as well?

John
John,

The rubber is thin... maybe 1/16", black, and I bought it from the hardware store. Between the rubber gasket and the motoseal I'm hoping for a good seal. Make sure you punch holes out for the screws to go through as well.

The baffles run fore and aft as far as I can tell. I didn't see or feel any lateral ones.

Bob
Old 12-06-2011
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdugan View Post
Has anyone else used these exterior tank monitoring strips? Do they work? Practical Sailor seemed to like them. I'm wondering if the fiberglass molded tanks on the PSC are too thick. I thought I'd ask before I did the install.
We use a SCAD monitor for our holding tank. Works great.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-06-2011

Pegasus34 is on a distinguished road
RainDog,
Do you use the external or internal tank monitor?
Old 12-06-2011
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
External.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-08-2011

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road
I have a SCAD single tank monitor on my holding tank with the aluminum tape strips mounted on the outside of the tank wall inside the cabinet door under the vee berth.

The unit is perhaps three years old. When new the high level light never lit (15 min of high level should trip the light to on), and it had to be returned for repair/replacement. I have a clear insert in the 4" Beckson inspection plate in the top of the tank which I clean annually when I scrub the tank out. It allows me to see into the tank. The level that the SCAD unit reports is a bit variable. I would guess it to be +/- 10 to 20%. In addition, the indicated level drifts as the "sandy brown solids" accumulate on the sides of the tank.

I have confirmed the drift by pumping the tank empty then adding seawater to the tank from a 2.5 gal bucket through the pumpout line noting the amount of water added when the display goes from E to 1/4 to 1/2 to 3/4 to F to running out the vent.

I wondered if there was plywood within the tank wall as the SCAD instruction manual warns against using the foil strips if plywood is present. I called PSC this afternoon and asked Thumper. While he could not vouch for a 1988 boat, he did not think the wall would have been reinforced with plywood.

In short I have it, I use it, but if I really want to know how full the tank is, I raise the vee berth cushion and look through the deckplate.

Bill Murdoch
Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 12-08-2011 at 07:45 PM.