Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
secondary winches

I've decided to upgrade my primary winches on my 31 Crealock. I would like to relocate my primaries and use them as secondaries. It looks like the lead off from the turning block across the coaming to the primaries is going to interfere with locating the secondaries. Has anyone added secondaries to their PSC and found a good location or mounting solution?
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2012

valis is on a distinguished road
I (slightly) up-sized my primaries and moved the old winches forward on the coaming for use as secondaries. The secondaries are used primarily for the spinnaker guys, so the feed is from a block at the forward end of the jib track. The guy runs down the side deck directly to the winch.

The secondaries also works for tensioning the running backstays. I've considered removing the camcleats on the lower runner blocks, since they are a PITA, and just using the secondary winches to hold the stays.

The port-side secondary is also well-positioned for use as an assist when roller-furling the headsails.

Of course, the PSC44 may have more coaming length than the PSC31, so I'm not sure this helps...
S/V VALIS - PSC 44 #16 - Sausalito, California

Last edited by valis; 01-23-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-23-2012

Hi Paul,
Your ideas are very helpful, what you point out makes perfect sense.I have not used my runners yet (as I am in the process of putting on all the parts to sail her as a cutter w/removable inner forestay) but I can see your point about the cam cleats on the fiddle blocks.
There is plenty of room on the coamings for the another pair of winches.
In my case I would leave the primaries where they are and use them as secondaries. I would then mount the new primaries behind them where there is room on the coaming. This way the turning blocks would lead to the new primaries. The new primaries would also be easier to reach from the helm as yours seem to be. Thanks.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC

Old 02-04-2012

The new winches are here which is great but I will not be able to use the existing Harken 40 ST's as secondaries. Thing are just a bit too tight on the coaming as a result of the propane locker lid.
I don't have a use for them now......PM me with any ideas.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.