Replacing running rigging - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-30-2012 Thread Starter
SV Skalliwag #141

Replacing running rigging

I am looking to replace my jib and main sheets. Never shopped for sheets before. Would a polyester double braid like Sta-set from New England Ropes be a good choice?

What size do other 37's use out there? The sheets on my boat are so oversized they do not fit the winch self tailer or the clutches.

Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-30-2012

I like Sta-set and use it on my boat. You need to get what fits your winches & clutches..Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #3 of 15 Old 01-31-2012

Sta-Set X is also good. It uses a parallel-lay core (not braided) so it has slightly less stretch than regular Stay-Set. Low-stretch is a good thing for sheets and halyards.

Agree, get what fits your clutches and blocks, probably 7/16" or 1/2". If you go too small it's hard on the hands and your clutches won't work. Too big and you have excess friction and wear.

Paul Elliott
S/V VALIS - PSC 44 #16 - Sausalito, California

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
I am looking to replace my jib and main sheets. Never shopped for sheets before. Would a polyester double braid like Sta-set from New England Ropes be a good choice?

What size do other 37's use out there? The sheets on my boat are so oversized they do not fit the winch self tailer or the clutches.

Thanks!
Broke:

Our old PSC37 had 7/16" NER Sta set double braid for the mainsheet specified on the packing list, but the owner's manual spec'd 1/2" double braid. We eventually replaced it with 1/2" NER Regatta braid.

We had a 120 Genoa, IIRC and it had NER staset 1/2" sheets.

Regards,
Ted
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
post #5 of 15 Old 02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Sta-Set X is also good. It uses a parallel-lay core (not braided) so it has slightly less stretch than regular Stay-Set. Low-stretch is a good thing for sheets and halyards.
Halyards I can understand low stretch, but sheets, I would think a little flex would be a good thing, in case of unattended jibe or gusting winds for example.
Tom

PS31#111 Cielo Azul
post #6 of 15 Old 02-01-2012

It is not as important with sheets as halyards, but if you have stretchy sheets then ever time there is a little puff some of it absorbed by the sheets and not transferred to the boat as drive.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
It is not as important with sheets as halyards, but if you have stretchy sheets then ever time there is a little puff some of it absorbed by the sheets and not transferred to the boat as drive.
Correct -- stretching generates heat, and that's where the lost power goes. Stretchy sheets can also make it more difficult to keep the sails properly trimmed.

Honestly, for cruising you're not going to see much if any difference between Stay-Set and Stay-Set X (or the high-performance racing lines). Standard double-braid (Stay-Set) is probably easier to splice, too.

For a cruiser, probably the main reason to consider a higher-performance line is when the line size would otherwise become too large for convenience. With a PSC37, 5/16" or 1/2" poly double-braid line such as Sta-Set should perform well enough, and the diameter is good for comfortable handling characteristics. On a bigger boat, 1/2" Sta-Set just won't do the job as well, so it makes sense to look at hi-tech lines.

Paul Elliott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-02-2012

So how do you determine when running rigging should be replaced? Are there different practices for halyards vs sheets?

Seacurves
PSC37 #359
post #9 of 15 Old 02-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacurves View Post
So how do you determine when running rigging should be replaced? Are there different practices for halyards vs sheets?
I just look for wear.

Jibsheets typically chafe at the sail clew attachment and where they rub against the shrouds. Halyards can chafe at the blocks, and at any shackle eyes. Look carefully inside the eye splices, the line can get very worn here and still look OK at first glance.

Sunlight can also degrade the covers on the sheets and halyards, and this shows up as fuzz, etc.

Don't forget your control lines (furling, vang, reefing, preventer, etc). Unspool all the line from any furling drums, and inspect every inch.

Other than sunlight and chafe, lines will last a very long time in normal use. If a line looks good it probably is good.

Paul Elliott

post #10 of 15 Old 02-03-2012

Thanks Valis!

With your recommendations in mind I have at least one line that is very ready for replacement. So another quick question: what is a good way to calculate ideal line length? For example, right now my mainsheet seems way long and is always coiled up with an unused 15+ feet.

Would appreciate any guidance.

Seacurves
PSC37 #359

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.