Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012

Litehart is on a distinguished road
Electronic Recommendations

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2000 PSC34-329 and am making a list of new electronics. I have selected Furuno as the primary equipment. Have already purchased a NavNet3d 8-inch MFD that I intend to install at the Whitlock pedestal. The boat has its original (12-year-old) B&G instruments currently at the pedestal (wind, speed and depth). I am considering adding the 4kw Furuno ultra HD radar on an 8-foot articulating Garhauer pole on the transom. I have been advised that the existing B&G instruments with their 2000 vintage NMEA0183 will not easily interface with the Furuno system.

What would be your ideal setup for electronics? Is it adviseable to retain or install a set of instruments to include wind/speed/depth? I could go with a sonar transducer for the Furuno MFD to get depth and eliminate that B&G instrument. The Furuno NavNet3d would give me speed over ground (with the GPS), but not speed through the water. As for the wind instrument, running a new cable down the mast could prove problematic and adding to cost. As a cruiser, is the wind instrument even necessary?

Please take a stab at making your ideal total electronics setup if this were your boat. Oh . . . I also ordered the new Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF that will provide dual AIS signals that can be integrated with the Furuno MDF.

Thanks for your feedback.

Lightheart
Treasure Island FL
Kathleen, PSC34-329
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2012

valis is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, the B&G gear will probably interface just fine. I've got B&G "Network" stuff on VALIS (at least 12 years old), and two Furuno NN3D 8-inch chartplotters. You can tap off the daisy-chained B&G NMEA0183 signal and feed it to one of the 0183 inputs on the MFD. As I recall there are three 0183 inputs (and outputs) on the MFD. If you've got these all filled up, you can get a mux to combine things.

There may be good reasons to get new gear, but 0183 probably isn't one of them.
S/V VALIS - PSC 44 #16 - Sausalito, California

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2012

wnelowet is on a distinguished road
I have also been shopping for new instruments. I like the Raymarine ST-60 or the TickTac wireless system. We are in the Clearwater area with our PSC 34 #146 Blue Wing. Let me know if you want to discuss your new boat? I do most of my own work and have become quite familiar with the boat!

Best Regards,

Wally Nelowet
s/v Blue wing
Clearwater Beach, FL
Old 02-19-2012

Thanks Paul; that's encouraging. Couple of questions: B&G tells me the required cable is no longer available that would connect the B&Gs to the Furuno. What cabling did you use to connect the B&Gs to the NN3D? Also, how do you have the B&Gs and the NN3D laid out at your pedestal? I have looked into changing out the stainless angle guard that the B7Gs are mounted to. Looked at the NavPod "bent" angle guard that would accommodate the NavPod for the NN3D on its lower angled section and the instruments on the angle guard's upper vertical area. Can you tell me how you installed the instruments and the NN3D? Do you have any pics of the pedestal setup?
Old 02-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelowet View Post
. . . We are in the Clearwater area with our PSC 34 #146 Blue Wing. Let me know if you want to discuss your new boat? I do most of my own work and have become quite familiar with the boat!

Best Regards,

Wally Nelowet
s/v Blue wing
Clearwater Beach, FL
Wally, you are about a nine iron shot from where I am sitting. How long have you owned your PSC? What do you have at the pedestal station? Three instruments PLUS a chartplotter? Only the instruments? Give me your email and I will send you some pics of Kathleen (our PSC34).
Old 02-19-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Electronic Recomendations

Can we post pictures of setups on Sailnet so we can all benefit? Here is a link to my setup. Can't post directly because file is to big. I mounted most of my electonics away from the Compass do minimize deviation.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1089953...57979182157298[/]
Old 02-19-2012

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehart View Post
B&G tells me the required cable is no longer available that would connect the B&Gs to the Furuno.
Check with Myles Marine Electronics, Inc. - An Authorized Service Dealer for Brookes & Gatehouse and Stowe for the cables before giving up on the B&G.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 Swan
Old 02-19-2012

Thanks guys. Some great information. Please keep it coming.
Old 02-19-2012

valis is on a distinguished road
Here are some old B&G documents that show the "Network" NMEA output pinout and signal descriptions:
Network Cable Pinout
Network NMEA Cable
I think the adaptor cable (that you can no longer get) just provided a tap onto the NMEA out signals, so you should be able to cut and splice into an existing cable. If I recall correctly, you need to take the tap from the "most downstream" point in the daisy chain.

Here are some shots of the VALIS helm:

As you can see, the upper NavPod does block the forward view if you're short (or sitting down).

The lower pod holds the B&G "Network" units. The upper pod has the Furuno NavNet3D 8" MFD. The upper pod's mounting grooves are a little wide for the stainless tubing I've got -- it's hanging a bit askew and I really should put in shims or something to improve the fit.

This is the previous configuration, with a different upper navpod for the old Raymarine chartplotter. Perhaps not too helpful, but I like the shot!
S/V VALIS - PSC 44 #16 - Sausalito, California

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-19-2012

Paul,

You're correct . . . that last pic is a beauty! Really captures the anxiety that one can have in such limited visibility conditions . . . at least for this wuss!

It appears your set up has the higher extended angle guard that Lewmar offers on their website for the Whitlock (now Lewmar) pedestals. If I am correct, did you add that higher angle guard or was it on the boat when you got it.

Also, do you have your B&Gs connected to your Furuno, or are they operating independent of the MFD?

I am not near my boat so another question: Do you know if the angle guard is 12 inch centers or 9.5 inch centers? I may want to order the angle guard and NavPod over the winter and take them up to Annapolis in the SPring.

Thanks!