Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012
pc237

pc37howard is on a distinguished road
windlass wiring

for the pacific seacraft 37 owners. the ones who know. need to run wires to the windlass, what rout did you take? my house batterys are under the sette which backs up to the head wall or is better to put a battery near the windlass and just run a charging wire ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: windlass wiring

I ran the wire from battery bank. My main battery bank is under the settee in against the bulkhead between the main cabin and the head.

I ran the wire from under the settee to the cabinet under the head sink, up into the locker behind the head sink. Then to switch which is on the bulkhead, the switch is accessable from the main cabin - its a breaker and has a light which indicates that power to windless is on. Then up to raised hull/deck joint under the cap rail and forward to the anchor locker.

I believe it is 1/0 wire but its been a few years. By running heavy wire you limit the voltage drop which is why some chose to put a seperate battery up forward adjacent to the windless. If you chose to do then you can run lighter wire as the wire should only have to carry charging amps for the battery and not the full load current of the windless.

When I re-did the batteries I put in 1 house bank consisting for 4 Trojan T105 and a second "bank" consisting of an Optimus Seal Battery which sits adjacent to the auxilliary diesel and is only used to start the diesel.
To fit the Trojans I had to cut out the shelf installed by the Pacific Seacraft and fiberglass in a shelf that would allow the taller Trojans to be fitted.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2012
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road
Re: windlass wiring

As factory installed on ARGO, a 1995 37', the large power leads run from the breaker bars behind the panel adjacent to the nav station, all the way up forward in the small space made by the cap rail/deck joint hat. You have to pull down the headliner to get access to it. There is a dedicated, separate breaker (50A?) mounted on the long elex board that screws in next to the hinged breaker panel enclosure.

Hope that helps. I think Marc is right on the 1/0, it's big stuff, and necessarily so. You'll draw alot of amps hauling in 3/8" chain and a 50 lb anchor.