Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012

wbrownell9 is on a distinguished road
Newbie looking to buy

Hi, I'm new to the board and am on the verge of getting my dream boat, a Crealock 37. I'm wondering if I'm biting off too much since I've been boatless for about 12 years, although my last one was an Island Packet 35. The one I'm looking at was built in 1987 and looks to be sort of rough around the edges, dated electronics but overall pretty much what I expect. At this point I have a couple of questions:
  • Are there any areas I (and the surveyor) should pay particular attention to, that have proven to be recurring problems?
  • What is under the plywood panels in the quarterberth and the pullman berth? They look like they are made to come out but not without a fight. If it's tankage, it's not as easy to get at as the fuel tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2012

DMD is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbie looking to buy

With regard to known potential issues with PS 37's there are a couple of areas to check. 1) The aluminum fuel tank can become corroded by bilge water. Later boats came with fiberglass tanks. 2) The wood compression post can be water damaged by leaks from the mast step or from the head (if used for showering). 3) Older boats should also have their chainplates checked for cracking though this applies to all boats, not just PS 37's.
The plywood covers in the quarter and pullman berths are the tops of the fresh water tanks. I have heard of some owners having to replace these on some boats.
That's about all I can think of. Others may be able to offer more.

Dave
Crealock 37 #151
"Eowyn"
Old 03-30-2012

unomio is on a distinguished road

Water tank interior may be blistered. Ours was. Required digging out the blisters and applying an epoxy that was more water resistant. Also, check under the head. THe support is wood and if it's been wet there may be rot. You can put an inspection port in the water tank tops, then bed them and screw them down (after you clean the tank and fix any blisters). Check wiring where the hull-deck screws came through. In older boats (ours was 1983) the screws were left as-is and some eventually chafed/poked through wiring. Ditto screws in the cabinetry. Make sure the famous Pacific Seacraft "stinky locker" (the one just forward of the nav station) isn't beyond your tolerance with diesel fumes. They can be masked by various tricks (cleaning only helps for a week or two--the diesel smell comes right back, especially if there is a tiny seep). On the fuel tank, a good yard can remove the tank (after you empty it as much as you can), clean it, and fix the corrosion if it's not major. Pacific Seacraft might be able to build you a fiberglass one like the newer boats have--check with Thumper.
Old 04-13-2012

PCSSailor is on a distinguished road

Don't be intimidated. You'll be happy with the purchase.
1. Check the sliding hatch. On an 81, my plywood substructure was rotted and I replaced. Pretty big job and expensive if you have someone else do it.
2. I also replaced all the laminate glass in the portlights. Most looked terrible, some were showing signs of leaking (may have been condensate). Also a relatively big job because about 50% of the 10 macine bolts/portlight had to be drilled out and retapped. I was very careful and in almost every case was able to keep the same size.
3. Check the seacocks. If it's an older hull, they may be the old rubber plug type. Replacement plugs are almost impossible to find. I replaced all seacocks, not hard but you don't want to make a mistake.
4. Check the engine heat exchanger if you have an Atomic 5432.
5. Agree with chainplate comment. I found a hairline crack and replaced them all.
6. If you have an older traveler, check the blocks for cracks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.