Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Re: ps 31 water tank leak

The water tanks are made up of the hull and the inner liner with a lid.

Originally Pacific Seacraft tops were plywood. By 1989 they had switched to PVC. If the new Pacific Seacraft is making them out of fiberglass that is good to hear as the PVC ones have issues with sealing to fiberglass liner.

To attach the PVC tank lid Pacific Seacraft provided the following instructions:

1 Prefit PVC tank lid on hull liner tank flange making any adjustments necessary.

2. Prefasten lid with #8 x 1 inch counter-sink flat head sheet metal screws with finish washers making sure that there is a clearance hole for the screw shank in the lid. Screws are to be positioned at all corners and psaced on approx. 6 inch centers

3. Unscrew and release lid

4. Remove any residual mold release was from the hull liner by using interlux 202 fiberglass solvent wash or a soap and ammonia solution in way of the tank lid flanges.

5. Sand the liner tank flanges with 100 grit sandpaper.

6. Repeat procedure 4 cleaning up thoroughly so as not to contaminate the potable water tank.

7. sand the inside edges of the PVC tank lid to a width of appox 1 inch with 100 grit sandpaper

8 Apply sparingly a thin coating of Dow Corning ROS Prime Coat (or Eauivalent) to the sanded surface of the PVC lid and leave to dry for 15 minutes.

9. While Primer is drying run a continous beed of Dow Corning 999A Clear Silicone.

There may be more but that would be on the second page of fax which I don't have.

On my boat they did not apply the prime coat, so the tanks all leaked over time. I followed their instructions and the tanks still leak if over-filled.

Tanks lids made of fiberglass which would then bond with the fiberglass liner would be seem to be the ticket.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207, 1989
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2012

Summit_Elan is on a distinguished road
ps 31 water tank leak

Thanks, all. Looks like replacing the lids is the way to go.
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36
Old 04-13-2012

okapi3 is on a distinguished road

I replaced my leaking original plywood aft tank lid with 1/2" PVC. Traced the old one, cut out a new one from PVC. You need a router to make the round-over on the edges. Installed according to instructions obtained from this site. One word of caution: be sure to dry fit everything before you set it in sealant. Be sure to use good sealant, and I used a PVC primer, too. I took the opportunity of making a new lid to add a couple inspection ports. So far (3 years) nothing is leaking (knock on PVC).
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 08-03-2012

Summit_Elan is on a distinguished road

Finally got this finished...I ended up only doing the aft tank lid. I used 1/2" plexiglass-clear so I can see the mold growing. That ran me about $425 including an inspection/access port.
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36