SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

PS34 Water Tank Issue

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  wsmurdoch 
#1 ·
My Pacific Seacraft 34 has a water tank under the quarterberth, and has two 4 inch access holes for cleaning the tank. Today when I opened up the access holes I saw that a plastic stiffening piece that had been glued to the underside of the water tank had fallen off and was now at the bottom of the water tank.

Click HERE to see a photo showing this piece at the bottom of the tank, as viewed through one of the 4 inch access openings. As you can see from the photo, the plastic reinforcing piece is a square piece of dark plastic with a cutout for the 4 inch access opening. This reinforcing piece was glued on to the top of the tank, surrounding the 4 inch access opening.

Because the top of the tank seems very think and strong, it seems to me that the reinforcing piece that came off is not necessary. The top of the tank around the 4 inch access opening seems very stiff and strong. I am therefore considering removing the reinforcing piece from the bottom of the tank and not using it.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Brian Stipak
S/V Ubiquity, PS34 # 67
Portland, Oregon

See less See more
#3 ·
I have thought of that piece of plastic as a baffle, rather than a stiffening device. It helps to contain the water somewhat. I am of the opinion that it should be re-secured.

#5 ·
When we bought Irish Eyes the two water tank covers were gray plastic. The holding tank cover was plywood with fiberglass on its interior surface. I replaced the plywood holding tank cover with 1/2" gray PVC that I bought from McMaster Carr. It was identical in appearance to the existing water tank covers, so I assume the water tank covers are PVC.

The forward water tank cover has a single 4" Beckson inspection plate in it. The aft water tank cover has pair of inspection plates. All three of the holes for the inspection plates were reinforced around their edges by having a approximately 12"x12" piece of the same gray plastic with a hole in its center glued to the underside of the water tank cover with the hole in the cover and hole in the reinforcement lining up. You can feel and see the reinforcements through the open inspection plates.

My guess is that the reinforcements were glued in place with standard PVC cement after the two surfaces were cleaned with PVC cleaner. Both should be safe for water contact as both are routinely used in house plumbing. C-clamps through the hole should hold the reinforcement in place while the glue hardens.

I did not add the second thickness of PVC to my holding tank top.

Irish Eyes
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes to the Bahamas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.