SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Galley sinks in Crealock 37 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/88611-galley-sinks-crealock-37-a.html)

macmhuirich 06-14-2012 04:14 PM

Galley sinks in Crealock 37

Has anybody had an issue with their double galley sinks on the Crealock 37 being so deep that the bottom is below the waterline? Mine sit about an inch below the waterline when moderately loaded. Having that water slosh around is a bit of a bother, especially when doing dishes. I am considering (1) removing the stock sink and reinstalling a shallower sink, (2) disconnecting the drain from the thru-hull directly below the sink and running it through a macerator pump to a new thru-hull above the waterline, or (3) raising the counter by an amount that would place the bottom of the deep sinks above the waterline. The first option is obviously the easiest and I have no real attachment to the deep sinks. Might be difficult to find a double SS sink to match the counter cutout, though. I am curious whether anybody has a similar problem and if they attempted to resolve it.

Thanks!

Brent Swain 06-14-2012 05:02 PM

Re: Galley sinks in Crealock 37

Shallower sinks work just fine. No justification in a deeper one. I've used shallower sinks aboard for 40 years, no problem. Test any sink you buy with a magnet. Magnetic ones rust, non magnetic ones don't. Ditto the strainer. If it is non magnetic , you may be wise to use the strainer out of your deep sink in your shallower one. Non magnetic strainers are hard to find . I had to build my own. Scrapyards have many sinks for cheap, in all shapes and sizes.

BirdBrain333 06-14-2012 05:10 PM

Yes!!! The deep sinks are a royal pain. I could not for the life of me find a sink that would fit in that opening. If you do, PLEASE let us all know where we can get it! '

Failing a new sink and not being willing to raise the counter as you suggest I instead made a grid of thin slats of wood 1/4" X 1 1/4" which I notched and glued criss-cross or lattice style. I then epoxy coated the blazes out of it to make it easy to clean. It keeps the dishes and cruddy water in the bottom of the sink reasonably well separated but a new shallower sink sure would be a nice addition.

Thanks, Jay

1986 PSC 37 Kenlanu

teejayevans 06-14-2012 06:30 PM

My 31 has 6" deep sinks which gives me 3" above the water line. How deep are yours? Maybe PSC change to shallower sinks that you could order a replacement from the factory, could be as drop-in replacement if you're lucky.
Tom

MarcHall 06-14-2012 07:27 PM

Crazy Fish's sink plumbing is teed - one goes to directly to a thruhull and one to the input to a macerator. The macerator is located on the aft bulkhead of where the trash can resides.

I think this came up when Crazy Fish was being built (late 1989). Friends owned a couple of year older boat without the macerator and it was one of the
issues that we presented to Pacific Seacraft that we would like to have rectified. They suggested and installed the macerator. We always use the macerator to drain the sink and the lines.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish
Crealock 37 Hull 207

niftynickers 06-14-2012 08:05 PM

Ah yes! The galley sink.When we started cruising I installed a macerator in the drain line and solved the problem.We call it the food disposal unit.
I installed the switch on the front of the sink in between the two sinks.Just watch out for chicken bones.
Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

DMD 06-14-2012 08:31 PM

Another vote for the macerator pump here. Our '37 is set up that way and it works very well. Keeps the sinks dry and clean.
Dave
Crealock 37 #151
"Eowyn"

BirdBrain333 06-15-2012 05:40 AM

This is GREAT info! I never knew a macerator pump would take care of the problem. Thanks everyone!

Jay

PSC 37 # 171, Kenlanu

brokesailor 06-15-2012 05:41 AM

On Skalliwag I have deep double sinks but I have never had issues of water backing up into the sink. Wonder why? I'll pay closer attention next sail.

ottos 06-15-2012 04:52 PM

Instead of a full blown macerator, would there be some sort of check valve that could be installed in the drain line?