Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brian Duff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012
Yacht Broker

Brian Duff is on a distinguished road
pacific seacraft 34 hull restore

Hi Group,

I post this as others may have found a similar problem to my friend Bill. His dark green 34 had faded and chalked badly after a couple years in the Caribbean sun. A contractor locally offered to wet sand and compound the gelcoat as an alternative to the repaint Bill was considering. WE had him do a sample which looked great - so the whole entire hull was wet sanded, buffed and waxed to a like new stunning shine. This job cost $2000. You can see photos on my website, in the 34' range.

I hope this informational helps someone
bobdugan likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2012

bobdugan is on a distinguished road
Re: pacific seacraft 34 hull restore

I like this... my green PSC34 was awlgripped green and looks beautiful... but I've already dinged the crap out of the bow thanks to a set of heavy mooring pennants and a twisted mooring ball chain... I can't fix those dings!!! Also, I'd like to feel like I can bump a dock now and then without destroying this beautiful awlgrip job.

I wonder if when the awlgrip fades (or I destroy enough of it), I can do this wetsand/buff/wax to restore Emerald?

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duff View Post
Hi Group,

I post this as others may have found a similar problem to my friend Bill. His dark green 34 had faded and chalked badly after a couple years in the Caribbean sun. A contractor locally offered to wet sand and compound the gelcoat as an alternative to the repaint Bill was considering. WE had him do a sample which looked great - so the whole entire hull was wet sanded, buffed and waxed to a like new stunning shine. This job cost $2000. You can see photos on my website, in the 34' range.

I hope this informational helps someone
Old 07-03-2012

AlLorman is on a distinguished road

I spent the (thankfully warm) winter acid cleaning, then wet sanding (three different grits), then compounding, then polishing and finally waxing the hull of my 1990 31. It literally looks new, but I had the help of an off-white hull, rather than a dark color. I used the system (and the products) outlined by Maine Sail here: Tips For A Great Buff Wax - SailboatOwners.com.

Bob, I think you are out of luck with an Awlgrip hull. Awlgrip does make a restorer product, but I don't think you can wet sand, etc. The paint film is quite thin compared to gel coat.

Al Lorman
PSC 31 No. 55, Ann West
Annapolis
Old 07-03-2012

bobdugan is on a distinguished road

Yeah that's what I hate about awlgrip... I think that in 5 years or so I'll be ready to redo the hull... I'm hoping at that point to wetsand off the awlgrip, get back to the original hull, and bring the original hull back to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlLorman View Post
I spent the (thankfully warm) winter acid cleaning, then wet sanding (three different grits), then compounding, then polishing and finally waxing the hull of my 1990 31. It literally looks new, but I had the help of an off-white hull, rather than a dark color. I used the system (and the products) outlined by Maine Sail here: Tips For A Great Buff Wax - SailboatOwners.com.

Bob, I think you are out of luck with an Awlgrip hull. Awlgrip does make a restorer product, but I don't think you can wet sand, etc. The paint film is quite thin compared to gel coat.

Al Lorman
PSC 31 No. 55, Ann West
Annapolis
Old 07-04-2012

samchristo is on a distinguished road

We also had a good many dings around the bow - life on the hook. When we were in the Core Creek yard at Beaufort for a bottom job I had the painter touch up our flag blue Awlgrip with a some sanding and a spray gun. Problem solved and it was relatively inexpensive. I kept the left-over paint and use it to touch up minor dings.

Sam
s/v Grace PSC34
Old 07-05-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdugan View Post
Yeah that's what I hate about awlgrip... I think that in 5 years or so I'll be ready to redo the hull... I'm hoping at that point to wetsand off the awlgrip, get back to the original hull, and bring the original hull back to life.
Well the gelcoat is only so thick. The wetsand/polish of the gelcoat does remove some of it and eventually you are done and the only solution is to paint it (Awlgrip or something else) or re-gelcoat it.

With a new gelcoat application you will probably end up with a fairly thick layer that can then go thru the wet sand/buff cycle a few times. With awlgrip the surface prep (filling in the bad spots, sanding everything down to smooth surface before applying the thin awlgrip) is time consuming. With gelcoat probably less as you end up with a thick layer. But once applied the gelcoat surface will orange peel and you will need to do extensive sanding/buffing to get it to look like you want it. Possibly two months of full time work.

I have not done either to Crazy Fish but after the last buffing some of the
fiberglass is showing thru the gelcoat in one location about 2 inches square and the restored shine did not seem to last as long as in the past.

So my comments are based on research I have been doing online as well as talking with others who have gone the awlgrip or re-gelcoating path.

Or just ignore it and go sailing which is my current choice.

Regards
Marc

Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.