Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wsmurdoch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Collecting rainwater on PSC 34 or 37

We are headed back to the Bahamas this fall and would like to know how others have gone about collecting rainwater on a PSC 34 or 37. What has worked well and what not so well. I want something simple to rig and something that is OK if the rain arrives with wind as it usually does.

Thanks in advance, Jay

PSC 37 # 171, Kenlanu, getting well deserved rest and varnish in Buck's Harbor, ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2012

teejayevans is on a distinguished road
Re: Collecting rainwater on PSC 34 or 37

I just clean the deck first with saltwater, let it rain for 5 mins or so to rinse off the boat, and plug the scuppers and open the water tank fill ports, stick a porous clean cloth in it and let gravity do the rest. Works great on the rear tank, the forward tank doesn't get as much water and you need to construct a dam, else the water bypasses it.
This is for the 31 where both fills are on the same side, (not sure of 34/37 fill ports are), I need to figure out how to get more water to the port side (bridal to cause the boat to lean, or rig a canvas to get more water to drain to the port side).
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 07-15-2012

Thanks, Tom. On the PSC 37 the fill for the forward tank is so far forward not much rain comes off the deck and none of the house before being well aft of the fill. Worse yet, the fill for the aft tank is on the raised section of the deck as it begins its sweep around the stern. So not much opportunity there.

Any others out there with proven systems??

Thanks, Jay

PSC 37 Kenlanu
Old 07-15-2012

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

We are able to fill the aft tank by plugging the round fairlead/drain on the starboard side, closing the drain valve below the nav desk, and opening the deck fill for the aft tank.

We can transfer water from the aft tank to the forward tank by opening a valve under the head compartment sink that recirculates hot water back to the forward tank. (The real purpose of the valve is to prevent wasting water waiting for the hot water to get from the hot water tank to the head sink tap.)

We can fill collapsable 5 gal WalMart jugs from the galley sink either for storage or to pour them into the forward tank.

I installed a Forespar 3-way valve in the deck drain line that passes through the galley cabinet. One port receives water from the deck, one port is connected to the original thru hull drain, and the third port has a male hose connection. I can plug the port fairlead/drain, attach a short length of hose to the 3-way valve, switch the valve to the hose, and fill 5 gal jugs on the galley sole.

I made a 16" diameter funnel with a male hose connection at its small end from Weblon vinyl that we can use to collect water spilling from the mast or boom. Grommets around the big end edge let us tie it where it does the most good. It is handy when we are sailing in the rain, but it has actually gotten most of its use filling jugs from the outside shower at No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne where there are no water taps. I just tied it around the shower head, ran a short hose into the jug, and kept an eye out for the ranger.

I will be adding drains to the low spots of our sun awning shortly. I've marked the spots where water collects.

This year we bought no water in the Bahamas. It was a first mostly because it rained more than the previous four years, but partly because we were prepared.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
www.irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com
BluesHarp likes this.
Old 07-15-2012

Dear Bill,

It sounds like you were, indeed, VERY prepared. I've been loath to get into re-plumbing the deck drains but it sounds like the best way to go. For this year we will try your other suggestions as well as using the sail cover (upside down under the boom with a through=hull to 1/2 hose barb fitting at the low spot).

Thanks for a very informative post,

Jay

PSC 37 Kenlanu, waiting for rain in Maine

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.