• 1 Post By BirdBrain333
  • 1 Post By sailak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Crealock 37 performance

Howdy,

I'm thinking buying a Crealock 37 and am wondering how they perform. In particular how well they go to windward. My experience has been on my Omega 36, a fin keeled fractional sloop of 11,200 displacement which screams to windward.

How close does the Crealock sail to the wind? How does she do in light winds? I'm not worried about winning races but don't want to be blown onto the rocks because the boat is a pig.

How does she sail?

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Crealock 37 performance

Dale,
I think you could safely say, that your Omega 36 (D/L 185, SA/D 21.3) with fin keel/ spade rudder and 2ft more WL will smoke a PSC37 (D/L 332, SA/D 14.4) in light winds or pointing. Once the wind pipes up, the PSC should be able to carry more sail and be more forgiving.
Also, for work to windward, I would prefer the standard keel and a cutter rig, for tighter sheeting angles. The PSC 37 is a great boat, but your Omega 36 is faster and propably points higher.
Sorry, but you already have a great performer.
Bernd
Old 07-20-2012
Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjung View Post
Dale,
Also, for work to windward, I would prefer the standard keel and a cutter rig, for tighter sheeting angles. The PSC 37 is a great boat, but your Omega 36 is faster and propably points higher.
Sorry, but you already have a great performer.
Bernd
Without a doubt the Omega is going to be a better performer but we're looking at cruising adn the Omega isn't a long term/bluewater boat. Limited tankage and storage and lightly built.

S/V Elnora

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
Without a doubt the Omega is going to be a better performer but we're looking at cruising adn the Omega isn't a long term/bluewater boat. Limited tankage and storage and lightly built.
I agree. For cruising I would also opt for a PSC37, or a PSC40 if you have the extra $$.
Old 07-20-2012

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
Howdy,

How close does the Crealock sail to the wind? How does she do in light winds? I'm not worried about winning races but don't want to be blown onto the rocks because the boat is a pig.

How does she sail?
Dear Dale, The Crealock 37 is definitely not a "pig" but close-hauled angles of 50 degrees off the wind are not uncommon. As a sometime racing sailor I often find tacking greater than 90 degrees leaves me frustrated. At such times I have to remind myself of why I got this particular boat. So, ....

In your second post you note you want to do more cruising and hence are thinking of the Crealock 37. Perhaps "cruising" is too broad a term which could apply to sailing exclusively with Chesapeake Bay or across the Atlantic. The Crealock 37, Gentleman Bill, was designed for offshore passages and more importantly to get the crew from one place to another in safety and (relative) comfort. The idea being that if you are sailing shorthanded as most cruisers are you don't want to go fast and get all beat up. Instead you want to get there, have a nap, and then be ready to go out to explore your new destination!

At this the Crealock 37 excels. The deck is a wonderfully stable platform on which to work, not a go-fast twitching thing just waiting to chuck you into the drink. So for that stability, and dependable performance we put up with 100 degree tacks -- and try not to go to windward!

Hope this helps

Jay, PSC 37 # 171, Kenlanu
Buck's Harbor, Maine
sailak likes this.
Old 07-21-2012
Crealock 37

Thanks for the informative reply Jay.

S/V Elnora

Old 07-21-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Sail - I did a 300 mile race/return on PSC 37 cutter. Rhapsody has taken first-in-class in several races. So it can keep up.

Now the owner and his son are circumnavigating. Check out their FB page for info on how the boat is performing:

SV Rhapsody | Facebook

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-01-2012

whosedream is on a distinguished road

A Crealock 37 offers form and function as well as style and substance. She's not a speed demon and she's not the slowest either with a PHRF 174.

I needed a sailboat capable of fun and safety while coastal sailing, fun races/rallies as well as blue-water cruising. I needed a sailboat that is easily and securely designed for single handing.
A Crealock 37 not only meets and easily exceeds those needs but also excels with characteristics of safety & sea-kindliness in a range of winds and sea states.

I chose my Cealock 37 because she spoke to my soul of sailing aesthetics, approach and attitude.

Jimmy P.
PSC # 325
sv/ Island Time

Last edited by whosedream; 08-01-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2012
Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedream View Post
A Crealock 37 offers form and function as well as style and substance. She's not a speed demon and she's not the slowest either with a PHRF 174.......

I chose a Cealock 37 because she spoke to my soul of sailing aesthetics, approach and attitude.

SOLD!!!

Now if I can just sell my current boat.
dave6330 likes this.

S/V Elnora