Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Leaking hatches on PSC 37

I'm in the process of buying a PSC 37, 1995 model. I've heard leaks around the original hatches is a common issue. This boat has had new hatches installed but there is obvious signs of previous leakage around the hatch over the v-berth/forward cabin.

Is the cabin roof cored? I think it's plywood cored. If so, is there a problem with a leak at a hatch getting into the core or do the leaks just come thru the hatch into the interior of the boat.

Thanks

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2012

BluesHarp is on a distinguished road
Re: Leaking hatches on PSC 37

My experience with hatches leaking is usually my mistake and not the boat's mistake.
Old 08-03-2012

svjobeth is on a distinguished road

Whether or not water can enter the core material depends largely on where the water is coming in. If it's leaking in under the frame installations, or from another place on deck and appearing at your overhead hatch, then core exposure is certainly possible. If it's leaking in between the lid and frame, then core exposure isn't so likely.

When we bought Jo Beth, the overhead hatches wouldn't seal as the gasket (it appeared to be original) had collapsed. There was a gap between the gasket and frame of both hatches which was wide enough to slide a greeting card through. Remarkably, they never leaked. When we replaced them with new Bomar's, the old frames were still well bedded and the surrounding areas of deck structure solid as the day it was built.

Last year, I had a bizarre incident. We were secured in our slip and had been through a series of gales, all with heavy, heavy rain. Early on a Sunday morning, I was sitting at the saloon table when a gust of wind heeled us over. A steady stream of crystal clear water peed forth from the overhead saloon hatch - for a solid thirty seconds. It has never done it again; I haven't been able to replicate it with a water hose; it hasn't happened in subsequent storms (two tropical storms included - Alberto and Beryl); and I can find no reason or cause for it.

FWIW, I've not heard of this as being a common issue with PS boats.
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 08-11-2012

Seacurves is on a distinguished road

I have a related question. My PSC37 has water pooling under the vee berth mattress pretty regularly. No sign the water is from the hatch. Not likely the holding tank as all smells fine. My fresh water tank has silicon around the top. Any suggestions as where to look for the source?
PSC37 #359
Old 08-11-2012
pc237

pc37howard is on a distinguished road

with the mattress out of the way close the water supply vaule. fill the tank with water . this may help find the water leak .if some one has tried to silicom around the lid you may need to take the old silicom up.if it is leaking around a screw remove and recaulk it . check the clean out lid. also try not to fill the tank to the max. make sure your vent is clear and open so the tank can vent it has to vent some where. hope this will help
Old 08-12-2012

pc37Howard, thanks for the recommendations. We did a test and sure enough it looks like the forward water tank requires silicon around the lid edge.
PSC37 #359
Old 08-12-2012
pc237

pc37howard is on a distinguished road

seacurves. dont put silicom on top of silicom. remove the old silicom or even better remove the top and clean old caulk and reinstall. it will take longer but will last longer. all part of owning a boat. let me know how you fixed your leak? thanks pc37howard
Old 08-12-2012

pc37Howard,

Sounds like even the silicon used like a gasket under the lid (there is a small ~1/8-1/4" amount showing around the lid right now) needs to be removed in order to get a good long-lasting seal. Got it. I will plan accordingly. Again, thank you for the advice!
PSC37 #359
Old 08-24-2012
S/V Argo-Pacific Seacraft

SVArgo is on a distinguished road

Seacurves, don't be surprised if the water source isn't condensation associated from the heat of your body and the comparatively cooler tank boundary. We've had that issue quite a bit. I understand it can be somewhat stopped with the right mattress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacurves View Post
I have a related question. My PSC37 has water pooling under the vee berth mattress pretty regularly. No sign the water is from the hatch. Not likely the holding tank as all smells fine. My fresh water tank has silicon around the top. Any suggestions as where to look for the source?
Old 08-25-2012

svjobeth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVArgo View Post
Seacurves, don't be surprised if the water source isn't condensation associated from the heat of your body and the comparatively cooler tank boundary. We've had that issue quite a bit. I understand it can be somewhat stopped with the right mattress.
I thought about this as a possibility too, but we also had the leaking inspection port issue on the forward tank aboard Jo Beth. I uninstalled it, cleaned the tank, then reinstalled it. Part of the problem is the types of plates used for inspection access on many tank installations (not just PSC) are designed to keep things out when they need to keep things in.

Dri-Dek, or a similar material under the mattress which creates an air space between the mattress and tank top will help, but you do need good foam or cushioning so you don't wake up with Dri-Dek imprinted in your back!
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain