SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hard Dinghy Storage Aboard

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  SVArgo 
#1 ·
I got a great deal this spring on a Trinka 8 and we love it. However, I need to figure out how to stow it aboard. I know it will fit lengthwise upside down between the stays'l and the mast.

The inflatable just laid on its buoyancy chambers no big deal. The hard dinghy is, well, hard, has cleats forward and at the quarters. How do people stow theirs? Do you have chocks fitted, and if so, what do they look like? Or is there some removable chafe protection I can put down.

Thanks,
Ryan

#3 ·
yan, you might look into some hard rubber blocks (sometimes sold to carry canoes in car rooftops) that can be velcroed or affixed down to the deck, to keep the dink raised off direct contact. Then it is a matter of installing some d-rings in a convenient location to make sure it can be lashed down solidly.

#4 ·
Thanks. I like that idea. I'm not looking forward to drilling, bolting, glassing, or otherwise having to do alot of invasive work on the deck, so I wonder if I can't just affix the blocks to the dinghy and allow the pressure from the lashings hold the whole thing down? I lashed the inflatable to the teak rails, the mast step, and my two inboard anchor rode cleats and that seemed to work.

#5 ·
Lashing can work just as tightly as iron strapping, if you are neat and careful about it. If the lashing cordage stretches when wet, you need to pre-wet it before working with it. (Offhand, I think only Kevlar shrinks when wet.)

then you need to do the lashing carefully, and frap it. Frapping is wrapping around the lashing at a 90 degree angle, i.e. wrapping it, to add more tension. Or use another scheme of knotting, etc. to make the lashings tighter. Somewhere there's a balance between "Damn, we're gonna have to cut that off" and being able to unlash it when you get to the next port. Or maybe, that's why the good lord invented Velcro? (G)

#6 ·
I'm a traditionalist, so no velcro. I use french lashings to secure my (dyneema) lifelines to the stanchion terminations, they tension up well and don't loosen up at all. I might consult Ashely and see what he has to say.

Those are more semi-permanent, and might take a little more time on the dinghy. That said, I really only stow the dinghy aboard when going offshore. If I'm daysailing and anchoring every night, I just tow it.

#12 ·
I am definitely interested in seeing what they look like.

We just did our inaugural weekend cruise with the new dinghy, and would like to get it out of the water on the longer runs; we were on the Chesapeake in 20-25 from the S, and it was getting yanked around pretty good. Not worried about it so much as the painter chafing or parting.

#14 ·
I am definitely interested in seeing what they look like.
Sorry for the delay, been fighting battery issues on the boat.

First shot from the bow, shows all three mounting blocks:

From starboard, closeup of the bow block:

From starboard next to mast pulpit, this the the right rear block:

I plan to remove these at some point and you could have them but they are way down the list of things to do.

#15 ·
Boy, I like the look of those. I was avoiding going through the deck, but the naval architect in me is starting to get some big ideas.

I can have some threaded deck sockets (baxter bolts) installed such that when I want the chocks there I can screw them in, and when not, just screw the flush deck plugs into the sockets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.