Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012

thor is on a distinguished road
PSC34 power generation/storage solution?

I have recently purchased a PSC34 and plan to sail off for some extended cruising and blue water adventure next year. The current power generation/storage solution is set up for local cruising only. I want to be as self sufficient as possible but given the space considerations this is going to require some creativity and careful planning. I am interested in what others have done both from the generation/storage, but also the reduction in power consumption side of things. Appreciate any input those with more experience (just about everyone) can provide. --thor
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2012

shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Re: PSC34 power generation/storage solution?

We have the same question.

We also have a PSC 34 and are planning an extended cruise. We also want to be as independent as possible. The plan is to have only two batteries (starting/deep cycle) and to radically minimize electrical demand by minimizing electronics.

But we would also like to add a solar panel for power genration to top up our batteries. Does anyone have any experience adding a solar panel to a PSC 34? If so, where did you buy it and where did you put it? Pictures would be wonderful.
Old 08-27-2012

samchristo is on a distinguished road

We lived on a 34 for a few years and found you can reduce power needs with a smaller fridge (we use a SeaFrost BD), lots of small fans, and LED's inside and out. But you'll still need a fair bit of power unless you like rough living.
We like our power balance of a 440 Ah battery bank powered by a 150Ah Hehr Powerline alternator, two 85W Kyocera solar panels and an Aero6gen wind generator. I don't think we've ever had to run the engine for electrical power but we do tend to hang out in sunny, windy places.
Hope this helps,
Sam
s/v Grace PSC34
Old 08-27-2012

teejayevans is on a distinguished road

First you have to figure out how much power you need.
I use 180 watts of solar panels (handles 95%), 70A alternator and honda generator to handle the other 5% of my power needs.
Tom
PS31#111 Cielo Azul
Old 08-27-2012

thor is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the posts folks. I am curious what battery types and configurations you selected and where you are locating them? Also, for the solar panels and wind generator what locations did you select to mount them?
Old 08-27-2012

shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Sam, where did you source the LEDs? Are the light bulb fittings on the PSC 34 fairly standard? Sounds like you have been there and done it. Our PSC 34 only has one DC outlet - did you install others for the fans or did you hard wire them?
Old 08-27-2012

BMLipiec is on a distinguished road

We replaced all of our lights with LEDs last year. For the interior take a look at the Alpenglow overheads and reading lights. We had tried numerous other bulb replacement LEDs but were never happy with the brightness or color. We put both types on Indigo and are really happy with Alpenglow's customer service and product quality.
For the exterior we used a Lopolight for the bow nav light and Bebi Electronic LEDs for the stern and anchor lights. All are exceptionally bright and would recommend them.
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2012

samchristo is on a distinguished road

We tried several LED providers and settled on the SensiBulb from Sailor's Solutions. In addition to good lighting, their post-sale service is quite good. We converted all the lights to G4 halogen and simply used LED plug-ins. This applies to both overhead and reading lights. About half can be switched from white to red lighting for offshore work.
For batteries we use 4 Lifeline 6v AGM's mounted in the battery compartment provided, I believe, by the factory. I added a Group 27 starting battery just outboard of the house bank battery.
Both I and the previous owner added a number of DC outlets. There are a couple in the Vberth, 4 in the bookshelves, a couple at the nav station and a couple in the cockpit cubbies. They are a mix of cigarette lighter-style and the two prong Perko receptacles. The two prong plugs can be a pain but we haven't found another plug type that seems any better.
The solar panels and wind gen are on a custom-made SS arch (kind of). It blends into the bimini and doesn't look like a normal arch. Aesthetics are important on these boats.
Hope this helps,
Sam
s/v Grace PSC34
Old 08-27-2012

steneck is on a distinguished road

Sam (and others),

Regarding: "The solar panels and wind gen are on a custom-made SS arch (kind of). It blends into the bimini and doesn't look like a normal arch. Aesthetics are important on these boats."

Can you post a photo of your SS arch? I'm planning to install a bimini and wind generator but I'm worried about what works on our small canoe sterns.

I'm also curious if anyone has used the "Superwind" (SW350) wind generator? Its specs look good, it is said to be very quiet (10 db). Can anyone vouch for its performance?

Bob Steneck
PSC 34 Alaria
Christmas Cove, Maine
Old 08-30-2012

DaveMancini is on a distinguished road

We have been living aboard and ocean cruising for five years. We have two 85 watt Kyocera panels mounted on a "homemade" s/s frame and three AGM 27's. This has been plenty of power for us. Pictures and notes on our website at swancruise.com.

Dave Mancini
PSC34 #305 "Swan"