SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Multiple Anchors

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  samchristo 
#1 ·
We currently carry a 35lb Delta and a 34lb Manson Ray on our bow rollers. We like the Ray for some conditions but the Delta does drag in heavy winds. Hence, we're thinking about buying a Manson Supreme. We've read all the positive reviews, etc. but we're worried about fitting the two anchors on the same bow roller.
Has anyone tried this ?

Sam
s/v Grace PSC34

#2 ·
Sam,
We had two CQRs (35lb and 25lb) on the bow but switched to one 44lb Rocna - similar design as the Manson. The anchor fits fine by itself, but the roll bar on the anchor prohibits mounting a second anchor.
Without getting into an anchor debate, I felt comfortable upsizing the anchor and only having one "ready" anchor. However, I left the second anchor rode attached and ready to shackle on a second anchor, if necessary. For me it was a fair trade (seems like everything is a tradeoff on a boat): I gave up having a quick deploying second anchor for better holding with the bigger, better designed primary anchor, and also decreased the total weight on the bow (60lbs to 44lbs).

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.