Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012
bill norrie

BillNorrie is on a distinguished road
Re: PSC 37 How many have done away with staysail?

SV Terrwyn loves her Stay sails ( we have a working and a storm stay sail ,both hank on ).We crossed the Pacific last year and flew one or the other 24/7.
PSC 37 mast position is 4.14 and therefore a true cutter. Our furling 115% jib comes though on tacking easily with Stay sail backed to create a slot, CLASSIC BEAUTY.
SMOOTH SEAS,
Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Bill: Do you run the staysil sheet on the cabin top track or on the track on deck inboard of the rigging? If you use the cabin top blocks how many winches do you have on the port side under the dodger? I have one winch (jib halyard winch) but it does not a fairlead to the port side cabin top block.
Old 09-16-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road

Crazy Fish is rigged with a roller furling on gib and a detachable stay for the staysail.

Preferred sails for areas with higher range of winds is a yankee on the furler and the staysail. Lots of options to reduce sail and keep the boat balanced. In areas where I will be doing a lot of tacking (ie San Diego Bay), the staysail stay is released and brought back on deck to a small block and tackle to hold it tight, so it does not interfere with the tacking the foresail.

In areas of light winds like San Diego having something larger then an yankee on the forestay is useful. For daysails the staysail is rarely used.

I have no plans to remove the staysail stay from the boat or convert it to roller furling.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37 Hull 207
Old 09-18-2012
bill norrie

BillNorrie is on a distinguished road

HI Again
on Terrwyn we only have a single winch on port cabin top BUT we also have a " hockey puck" turning fair lead that directs all three lines to the winch.( all three have proximal stoppers also.
We also only use the stay sail sheet fair lead on the cabin top .

Terrwyn is hull no. 239 I believe , 1990
Old 10-05-2012

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road

Kenlanu also loves her staysail in combination with the Yankee. Sheet the staysail on the coach roof and it adds 1/2 to 1 knot in light or moderate air respectively; great with reefed main up to "oh crap" time. No problem tacking and we do both one or two day off shore hops and baysailing.

This may not help your negotiations but may help your pleasure with a Great Boat!

Jay

PSC 37 # 171, Kenlanu, currently on the hard getting some TLC in Oriental NC on the way to the Bahamas.
Old 10-05-2012

okapi3 is on a distinguished road

I have a 31 but the arguments for/against staysails are the same: it all depends on what kind of sailing you do. Offshore, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a sloop rig and a big genoa, because in strong wind a partially furled headsail has a very high center of effort and causes unpleasant heel and poor balance just when you don't want it (sail balance is particularly important when using a windvane self-steerer or an underpowered autopilot (like mine)). But in the Chesapeake Bay I remove the inner forestay and use my genny. I have to admit I, too, have sailed around the Bay with 2 headsails just because they look so...nautical!

Sailak, it looks like you are based in Alaska. I'm not familiar with that area but suspect you get some pretty good winds up there. If that's the case, I think having a staysail would be a really nice thing.

Good luck with your new Pacific Seacraft!
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.