Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
PSC 37 How many have done away with staysail?

I'm in the process of buying a PSC 37. It was advertised as a Cutter rigged boat however the staysail stay has been removed. The owner states he has the stay and staysail, however the sail is in poor condition.

How many of you use the stays'l? Is it worth the cost/effort to replace or does the 37 do fine without it?

We're down to testicle trimming time in the negotiations and I'm wondering how strong of a point the stays'l and innerstay is.

Thanks for thoughts and comments.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2012

Alannc44 is on a distinguished road
Re: PSC 37 How many have done away with staysail?

I just never bothered installing my forestay because of where I sail. I tack a lot so it just seems like one more thing to get in the way of the genoa, which by the way is a 150. If I had it to do again, I'd go for something like a 125 or smaller and possibly try the cutter setup just for kicks and grins. The forestay, which is still coiled up, looks so easy to install. With the halyard in place already I just use it to raise and lower the dinghy....which by the way serves VERY well. I have no complaints about the way mine sails with genny and main only. Perhaps when it's blowing over 30 would I really begin to appreciate a staysail as a storm jib. ~Alan
Old 09-11-2012

wbrownell9 is on a distinguished road

I'll be removing my stay soon, I'd have done it before now but I keep leaving my climbing gear home. My genoa is a 140 that reefs to 110 and I simply can't tack without either rolling it up or going on the foredeck to help it through. Last Saturday it was blowing 20-25 and it STILL wouldn't blow through when reefed to 110. Part of the issue is me, I'm sure - the boat is new to me and I always sail singlehanded so I felt like a one-armed paperhanger with hives trying to manage the wheel, the sheets, (the furler,) and the running backstays. OTOH, I've sailed other cutter-rigged boats singlehanded and not had a problem.
Old 09-11-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

We've had this problem since we bought our new girl. Ye verily tis a pain in the butt to deal with. Or at least it was until the wonderful SailNutter Jon Eisberg (joneisberg) posted this pic in another thread.

We've now done the same thing. Keeps the stay tucked up out of way and at a suitable tension so the damn thing doesn't perform the boom crash opera when the stay is to leeward.

So it means quite simply that when playing around in sheltered waters where constant tacking is to be expected its out of the way but a simple task to reinstall if we are heading out on passage . Single day passages we leave as is, we'd only refit the thing if heading offshore or on a long coastal.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 09-16-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-12-2012

samchristo is on a distinguished road

One of our few regrets on the boat is that we didn't put a furler on the staysail. We use it often, and when the wind pipes up we use it almost exclusively if beating to weather. The only issue is who's going to get wet and tossed around when going forward to rig the sail.
We have a yankee on the forestay so tacking is rarely a problem. The downside to the yankee is that the clew's too high off the deck. We also use a pole - a lot - when sailing downwind and like to rig a third sheet for the pole (check Evans Starzinger's solution at bethandevans.com). With a high clew on the yankee I end up having to stand on the mast pulpits to reach the clew. Causes consternation with the admiral when we're in any sort of weather.
If you have problems dragging a foresail across the staysail forestay you might try either a continuous line sheet (we attach the yankee sheet with a Brummel splice) or a soft shackle. Either option eliminates the bit of sail aft of the clew that tends to hang on the stay.
Old 09-12-2012

svjobeth is on a distinguished road

We removed our inner forestay on Jo Beth (a 34, not a 37...) as it was in the way with regard to our current sailing practices - mostly inshore and near coastal, lots of tacking, etc. When we're offshore more regularly and making longer runs, we plan to put it back up. Besides, our running backs need replacing as does the staysail itself.

However, I am wondering: we've been doing lots of rigging updates (new traveler, halyards, sheets, taken the Yankee down and put the 120 on the forestay, etc.) and haven't sailed yet without the inner forestay in place. Has anyone found it necessary to tweak or fine-tune-adjust the standing rigging?
1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34, Hull #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 09-12-2012

NortenoSailor is on a distinguished road

I love the flexibility of having the staysail ready to go if the wind is going to be above 20kts and find myself using it often, so much so that I am having the hanked on staysail converted to use a furler. With the stay in place, without the sail, it can be problematic tacking with my 150 genoa, but when the staysail is up, it is quite easy to tack. I am hoping that my new set-up with a furled staysail will allow easier tacking of the genoa then just the bare stay.
Old 09-13-2012

Alannc44 is on a distinguished road

Very interesting thought about the furled sail making it easier for the 150 to come around... Please let us know if it works! Does the extra sail area of a stay sail help your speed in lighter winds....along with the 150?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2012

valis is on a distinguished road

VALIS is a PSC44, but we have a permanent staysail on a furler. We have a 120% genoa with a slightly high clew. It's not a yankee, but it's not a deck-sweeper either (I had the foot cut high for visibility).

* The staysail does help the boat speed in light and moderate air, at least when on a reach.

* In light air the genoa often hangs up on the furled staysail. This happens regardless of the way the sheets are tied to the clew. I've currently got two bowlines, but before that I had a single line with a lark's head (cow hitch / luggage-tag) at the clew. It's the sail itself that hangs up, not the knot (usually). Waiting for the genoa to backwind before releasing the sheet sometimes helps, and I can usually horse it around the staysail stay by pulling hard on the sheet, but sometimes one of us has to go forward to pull the sail around the stay. In heavier air the genoa is much less likely to hang up.

* If I partially furl the genoa it doesn't usually get snagged. If I have the staysail unfurled and backwinded, the staysail keeps the genoa from wrapping around the staysail stay and the genoa tacks easily. The staysail is the last sail to be tacked.

* I really like the staysail. In big winds (40 kts +) the boat balances nicely with staysail and deeply-reefed main, or with staysail only. In lighter winds the staysail can help with boat speed. No doubt the staysail is less efficient than a full inventory of properly-sized jibs, but with my roller-furled sails the staysail gives me some nice options.

* Finally, the staysail just looks good. I sometimes fly that thing just because it makes the boat look pretty.
Seacurves likes this.
S/V VALIS - PSC 44 #16 - Sausalito, California

Old 09-14-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
* Finally, the staysail just looks good. I sometimes fly that thing just because it makes the boat look pretty.
That alone is reason enough!!
CarbonSink62 likes this.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312