SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Running backstay on my PSC 34

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  steneck 
#1 ·
For those of you who sail psc 34 & 37 cutter rigged, do you use your running backstay A) always, B) for long reaches, C) only when rigging is strained, D) rarely or E) never.

Sorry for the multiple choice but I'm not sure what's best for our boats. It seems pretty impractical for my sailing around Maine's islands. Should I be using at at every opportunity?

I welcome any thoughts, observations or advice.

Bob Steneck
PSC 34 Alaria
Christmas Cove, Maine

#4 ·
Bob:

We sail a 40, not the 34 or 37, but I imagine the "rules" would be similar. The running backs are meant to keep the mast from "pumping" when the staysail is used. My belief is that in very light air, the stresses a staysail puts on the mast are minimal and the running backs wouldn't be necessary, but then again, we don't use the staysail in light air...so, whenever we roll out the staysail, we rig the windward runner. Is it possible that this is the equivalent of "wearing a belt and suspenders?" I suppose so, but then again, I prefer to see neither my pants nor my mast fall down in public.

Fair winds,

Roger Lopata
JUNO
PSC 40 -- #46

#6 ·
Thank you Roger and everyone for your thoughts.

Actually, I'd rather have my pants fall down in public than my mast fall down half way to Bermuda.

As I understand it "pumping" relates to harmonics that can fatigue shrouds. In a blow or long passage I'll be setting my running back stay! It certainly is easy enough.

Cheers,

Bob Steneck
PSC 34 Alaria
Christmas Cove, Maine

#7 ·
I asked Bill Crealock about this a few years ago.He said that the only time the running backs are needed is in heavy winds with the staysail loaded to prevent mast pumping.He then added that he designed the boat for a thinner,lighter mast and the backs were a necessity but that PSC used a much stronger heavier mast so the backs are somewhat redundant.I find with the backs rigged it is difficult to maneuver around them so I only use them when going offshore.

Hope this helps,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

#9 ·
A few of us noticed the last time Pacific Seacraft exhibited boats at the Annapolis show a couple years back that the new Charleston Spars being used after the plant was moved to the East coast were of the more bendy variety than the previously used LeFiell spars.

#8 ·
Most helpful to have the backstory from Bill Crealock himself. I put the same question to Thumper at the factory earlier this year. His advice was the same (mostly, don't bother with the running backs except maybe for peace of mind offshore when it's blowing hard). But it makes all the difference to know that it's about Pacific Seacraft's choice of a more robust mast. Thanks for that.

#11 ·
Good info. Thanks everyone. We are waiting for our rigger to add the inner forestay and running backstays to our PSC 34.

Our 1989 PSC 34 came with the inner forestay removed. We did not like how the boat performed into winds above 15kts with a furled genoa so we asked our rigger to add it back. He recommended adding running backstays and using them any time we the staysail is up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.