Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012

Summit_Elan is on a distinguished road
PSC 31 Great sail after lots of work

Hi All-I'm sure you will appreciate this:

I just had to share that after buying Clue in the spring and doing/getting done a ton of work (new water tank lids, replace old fridge with frigoboat keel cooler, install of furling staysail, move bilge pump, rebuild shower sump pump. rebuilt 12V from batteries to panel .etc) and having sails that involved, among other things, dealing with water in the fuel tank and a broken transmission linkage bolt (as I was coming in hot to the docks!) I just had the second sail in a row where everything went perfectly and nothing broke.

I sailed out from Eastport/Annapolis yesterday in 10knots of breeze with all three sails up, headed over to Whitehall Bay, anchored, fired up the propane stove and had a beer and some hot food, ignored a bunch of work calls, then sailed back to home base on a rising wind of 20 knots and small whitecaps, hitting 6.3knots SOG barely healed at all. Docking went great as I have finally figured out singlehanded backing in to the slip with an unfavorable wind (use shortened springline as a pivot).

As a final note, I had left Clue unplugged from the dock for a week with the fridge running (150watts nominal solar panels) and the net drain on the batteries was zero, and the beer was cold(!)

That was a great day!

Elan
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2012

BobS2 is on a distinguished road

Congratulations. That's sweet! PSC 31 is on my short list. Any good searching resources to share?
Old 10-01-2012

Summit_Elan is on a distinguished road

Hi Bob:

There are some good reviews on line, Bob perry for one, and a latitudes and attitudes review from a couple of years ago I think. I wanted a cut away keel and skew hung rudder on a cutter rig, so while the Psc 31 was a little more than I wanted to spend- okay a lot more- it fit the bill. I bought mine from Rod Rowan at crusader yachts in annapolis. I think he's got two or three listed now, including a beautiful one a couple of slips over from me. Of course this means little if you are not near annapolis, Maryland, USA.

The factory in North Carolina is very helpful. Ask for "thumper" at 1 (252) 948-1421.

Best of luck!
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36
Old 10-02-2012

wmjr is on a distinguished road
Re: PSC 31 Great sail after lots of work

Elan,

That is what it is all about isn't it? I expect you will have a lot more with your 31.

I had a similar sail on my 31 yesterday with 16 knot winds and the meter calling it 6.7 and for one instant 6.8 knots.

Well, she lies about her age so she may have been lying about her speed but it was a soul full day what ever the knot meter was saying.

John
Watermark
PSC 31 #28
Old 10-03-2012

okapi3 is on a distinguished road

I can't read all this praise for the PSC 31 without chiming in with a little story of my own about a close call I just had with mine. Fortunately I came through it alright, a little shaken, but with a new perspective on my great ol' boat.

My close call was that we were within inches of selling our 1988 PSC 31 and at the very last minute called the deal off! We listed Wayfarer for sale in June. My wife and I just went for what we thought might be our last cruise in Wayfarer in September prior to meeting a prospective buyer to go for a sea trial. It was a relaxed 10-day DelMarVa circumnavigation with great sailing, great weather, sun, storms, dozens of dolphins, a little bit of everything . At the 2 marinas we stopped at, as usual, we received many spontaneous compliments on our boat. We had to agree, and were starting to have trouble remembering why it was we were selling her. Did we really need a bigger boat? As soon as we got back to Solomons we went to work getting Wayfarer all spick and span, de-cluttered, polished , varnished, and boy did she look nice! The following day was a perfect day for the showing and Wayfarer performed flawlessly. The buyer said she "loved" the boat. Problem was, so did we. Even more so now that we had just given her so much TLC getting ready for the showing. As we talked prices and financing I started to get a heavy feeling in my stomach. My wife was staying very quiet. That night I couldn't sleep at all. The next day my wife and I were in total agreement that we must have been crazy to want to sell such a beautiful boat! Where would we find another with such lovely lines, the patina'd bronze portlights, winches and cleats, the spacious cockpit (sorry 37 owners, I prefer my cockpit ), the solid PSC workmanship and design, not to mention all the upgrades and improvements I had put into her? Plus we had been through so much together: We learned to cruise on her, had great sails, awful sails, mishaps of every variety but always came through together in the end, and some grand adventures. It would be too callous and disloyal to just cast her off like that--to a stranger! We called up the buyer right away and told her, sorry, we changed our mind--Wayfarer is not for sale.

So next spring I am celebrating the renewal of our vows with a re-rig and a new mainsail (it no longer seems expensive at all, when compared to the cost of buying a bigger boat), then it's off to... hmm... Bermuda or New England? Can't decide...
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 10-03-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Great story! except for the uh 37 cockpit part!
Old 10-05-2012

Paul,

Are you basing your re-rig on evidence or just on pure number of years?

John
Watermark
PSC 31 #28
Old 10-05-2012

John,
I have been following the heated debate on the Gear-Maintenance forum about the 35 year-old standing rigging deemed "okay" by the rigger with great interest. I suspect you have, too, judging by your question. I don't have any expertise on which to base an opinion; however I agree with what many on the thread say, "It depends." It depends on how your boat has been used in the past and how you intend to use your boat in the future. My boat has 24 year-old standing rigging that "looks good." It has had 3 POs so difficult to know past usage, although I don't think it has spent any significant time in the tropics and may even have spent a few years in fresh water. The key factor, however, is that I plan on doing a lot of offshore sailing, and will probably be subjecting my rig to some pretty sustained stresses. Plus I anticipate taking her to the tropics in the near future. So to finally answer your question: I am replacing the standing rigging based purely on its age. The turnbuckles show no visible flaws, however, so I am not going to replace them. Another factor is that I was unable to get my boat insured (turned down by 3 companies) when I sailed her to Bermuda in 2011, and I think that was in part because of the age of the standing rigging.

Paul
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 10-06-2012

Paul,

Thanks. Yes on all counts. I have been following the rigging age discussions, mine looks good and there were two previous owners (Houston and Florida) but who knows how much time they spent south of there?

I have this recurring dream that some billionaire backs into my boat doing cosmetic damage and says, "Forget it, I will buy you a brand new one." And I say, "No, just pay Maine Sail and Brion Toss enough money to fly out to California to make every repair and upgrade they see fit." Not that I wouldn't love a 2012 Pacific Seacraft 31. It's just that I'm still in love with this one.

John
Old 10-06-2012

Agreed! I'll take old bronze over new stainless any day. I could probably do every upgrade on my dream list and not come close to the cost of upgrading to a 2012.
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.