SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Kiwi Prop (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/93260-kiwi-prop.html)

Norstar 10-19-2012 08:17 AM

Kiwi Prop

My 3 blade Max prop has served us well but is starting to give us some issues mainly due to wear. Cost for a rebuild seems excessive compared to replacing with some of the newer props out there. Considering a 3 blade Kiwi prop. The composite blades and simplistic design are appealing as we'll as the ability to change pitch easily. Anyone else out there have any experience with these? I understand reverse is not as much bite as with other props but heck I don't back up allot! Have also heard some reports of noisy under power? Thanks for any feedback.

John S
PSC 34 #201
Norstar

Faster 10-19-2012 10:56 AM

Re: Kiwi Prop

Most I know who have them are quite satisfied with the forward performance. On boats with smallish engines the out-of-the-box 'bite' in reverse was enough to stall an idling engine. Adjusting the reverse pitch with some screws seemed to help.

It's odd-looking in some ways, almost like a back-yard cobbled together thing but that's not a big issue.

night0wl 10-19-2012 05:30 PM

I have one...really helped me in reverse vs the fixed 3-blade OEM prop.

One of the best upgrades I've ever made on the boat!

Lost about 0.5 knot - 1 knot under power, however gained about 20-30 sailing days a year. Before, I needed 9-12 knots windspeed to get going...now 7-8 knots and I get somewhere!

Faster 10-19-2012 06:35 PM

Yes, moving to any feathering/folding prop is going to markedly improve the sailing aspect.. but esp feathering props shouldn't (as a rule) cost you performance under power...

Psc242 11-01-2012 04:58 PM

The main problem for us to use the Kiwi prop is the inability to install it with any Zinc to protect the shaft.
I went through the process and could not find a solution.
Jacob

PCP 11-01-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 936167)
Yes, moving to any feathering/folding prop is going to markedly improve the sailing aspect.. but esp feathering props shouldn't (as a rule) cost you performance under power...

There are some exceptions. Autoprop increases the performance. I heard that the Gori overdrive too;)

Regards

Paulo

orientalnc2010 11-02-2012 09:44 PM

Hi Northstar, The problem with the Kiwi is that there is no place to put the prop zinc on a PSC as stated earlier. A possible solution would be to install a hull zinc and connect it to the prop shaft with a shaft brush.
I too liked the KIWI concept. When is spoke to the rep in CA he had no PSC 31's in his data base. He was able to "recommend" the size by the engine hp and displacement.

Norstar 11-03-2012 07:14 AM

I was hoping there would be enough space in front of the Kiwi prop to install a donut zinc on the shaft. I'm still on the fence on this prop choice but will need to do something soon. I may just put my spare 2 blade bronze Astral prop back on for now and send my Max Prop back for reconditioning. I'm thinking from the experience of others, that's a costly proposition but maybe my best bet.

John S
PSC 34 #201
Norstar

sailak 11-03-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psc242 (Post 941583)
The main problem for us to use the Kiwi prop is the inability to install it with any Zinc to protect the shaft.
I went through the process and could not find a solution.
Jacob

Couldn't you put a donut zinc ahead of the prop?

Psc242 11-03-2012 10:59 PM

Sorry. no.
I have a 1/4" between my cutlass bearing and the prop.