Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road
Alpenglow Lights

If my memory is correct I purchased the first Alpenglow lights for Crazy Fish at the Long Beach Boat Show in 1989 where Crazy Fish sat of the show floor prior to being launched.

Over the years I replaced all of the overhead lights with Alpenglow Compact Flourescent Lights (CFL). I have been pretty happy with them although on occasion the bulbs needed to be replaced and I always wished for a bit more light out of them - but low power draw and very little interference with the HAM radio.

Recently Alpenglow has begun producing the overhead lights with LEDs, so I purchased one, liked it and then saw that Alpenglow would upgrade my existing CFL lights to LED. A couple of the existing ones had the red LED option and this time around I decided to upgrade all of the them with the red LED option. So in two shipments they all were mailed off to Alpenglow and upgraded.

They are all now installed on the boat and I am quite happy with them. Energy use is as stated. The color temperature of the LEDs is great, the low power setting works great of general use and the high power setting puts more light then the old CFLs at high power which is great when doing work on the boat at night.

I am happy to have LED overhead lights of the same exact form factor as my old lights using all of the same holes thru the headliner and that Alpenglow provided an upgrade path for my existing lights.

Highly recommended.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Alpenglow Lights

Good news!

Can replacement LED units be ordered or does the fixture need to be sent to them?

Rough idea on the costs overall?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-14-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

The Womboat has AlpenGlow fluoros throughout and I have no real complaints other than at best, they are less than inspiring visually. Nonetheless I'd retrofit the things with LED if possible provided the colour temperature is OK. We've tried a number of LED lamps on board, all supposedly "warm white" and none to my eyes satisfactory.

(Warm White ..... originally this was 2700k but recently has been extended to 3000. Some LEDs claiming Warm White are up to 3600.)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-24-2012

MarcHall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Good news!

Can replacement LED units be ordered or does the fixture need to be sent to them?

Rough idea on the costs overall?
The fixtures need to be sent in.

Upgrades depend on what you have and what you want. I had a couple with both the red and white light option and I had all of them upgraded to have both red and white light.

Pricing is pretty well documented on their website.

Marc