SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Lazy Bag for sail cover? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/96116-lazy-bag-sail-cover.html)

Sailmaster1 01-26-2013 07:02 PM

Lazy Bag for sail cover?

Hi....I have owned a PSC 40 for 2 years now and one of my least favorite tasks is putting on the sailcover at the end of a sail. The boat does have lazy jacks and I have the original Ullman sails. Has anyone found a lazy bag that works well? Doyle has their sailpack but I am not interested in changing sails.

Thanks!

Faster 01-26-2013 07:11 PM

Re: Lazy Bag for sail cover?

The Doyle stack pack idea is fairly easily DIY if you can get access to a sewing machine that can handle Sunbrella. We have a friend in our marina who has done several. Personally I don't like all the clutter while sailing (we even stow our lazyjacks between douses) But any canvas guy/gal should be able to replicate a working version of the Doyle system for you.

btw rather than attach it all to the sail a la Doyle, it's easy to mount some bolt rope track on either side of the boom and start there.. that way there's no complications with the sail at all. Add a batten or tube to the top of the 'cover/sling' half and attach the jacks to that.

Sailmaster1 01-27-2013 11:02 AM

Thanks....now that I have googled "bolt rope track" I have an idea about what you were suggesting which now has me puzzling if I really want to all of this to the boom.

Ps...My prior boat was a Camper Nicholson 31...Is a Fast/Nicholson part of the same family?

knuterikt 01-27-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailmaster1 (Post 981529)
Hi....I have owned a PSC 40 for 2 years now and one of my least favorite tasks is putting on the sailcover at the end of a sail. The boat does have lazy jacks and I have the original Ullman sails. Has anyone found a lazy bag that works well? Doyle has their sailpack but I am not interested in changing sails.

Thanks!

First -
-Do you have a loose footed main?
-Does your boom have a track at the top?

If the answer is yes to both it's easy to make a lazy bag (or whatever you call it) that is not attached to the sail, it can use the track in the boom.

If the answer is no to one or both - you need a way to attach the lazy bag to the boom. I think that riveting a track or something to the boom (both sides if the sail is not loose footed) is the usual way to do it..

Any sail maker (and some canvas shops) should be able to make one for you.
There are even DIY kits available.

Video

From sailrite

Faster 01-27-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailmaster1 (Post 981753)
Ps...My prior boat was a Camper Nicholson 31...Is a Fast/Nicholson part of the same family?

The Nicholson 345 was a Ron Holland design built briefly by CN in the late 70s.. They subsequently sold the molds and tooling to Fast Yachts in Brazil, our boat is hull #41 from them. CN built about 30, Fast built approx 130, I'm told. The Brazilian versions are much 'cruisified' below compared to the original, and sometime after ours was built they went to a masthead rig.

I'm pretty sure we have the only one in Canada....

AlLorman 01-27-2013 12:20 PM

I built the Sailrite kit for my 31. The DVD directions are very good and the end product is a pleasure to use.

Al Lorman
PSC 31 No. 55, Ann West
Annapolis

Sailmaster1 01-27-2013 10:59 PM

Thanks to all for great replies!