SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Mid 80's Blisters (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/96232-mid-80s-blisters.html)

scuppersinspired 01-30-2013 09:55 PM

Mid 80's Blisters

Hey all,
I'm looking at a 1985 PSC 34'. I've been reading through the pages and came across the vinylester not being used until 1988 model year 89. Is the blistering issue wide spread or does it just rarely show its ugly head? Does geography play a roll or are certain years just worse than others? Thanks for your help. -Scup

Squidd 01-31-2013 08:48 AM

Re: Mid 80's Blisters

Going to have to pull her out and look at her... all else would be speculation as to condition...

scuppersinspired 01-31-2013 09:50 AM

I guess I am trying to find if there were any years that were particularly bad.

Sabreman 01-31-2013 11:44 AM

Mid 80's Blisters

Blisters are specific to the boat and while the cause is still not fully understood, it appears related to quality control (both materials and construction) during the build.

As indicated, you need to look at this specific boat. If it doesn't have them by now, they are unlikely to form. Pulling a boat each season and allowing it to fully dry over the winter definitely helps alleviate or prevent blistering.

orientalnc2010 01-31-2013 08:29 PM

Hi Scup,
Have you tried searching the PSC archives for blisters. With such an active forum, not much discussion would indicate that it is not a common problem.

scuppersinspired 01-31-2013 09:57 PM

I've been going through the Archives page by page and reading everything pertinent or just down right interesting. I'm up to page 13 out of 30 something. So far I've only found one boat that has lots and a few others that seem to have taken effective measures to cure the problem before it got too bad. Is the search feature at the top of the page the most effective way to glean information from the archive? I'm hoping that the, "If it doesn't have them by now, they are unlikely to form", advice is good advice. Thanks for everybody's input. I guess I just have big cash anxiety!

Sabreman 02-01-2013 01:59 PM

Mid 80's Blisters

The key word was "likely". It doesn't mean "impossible". It's a chance that you take.

Our boat had a couple but I didn't sweat it. Our last Sabre developed a bunch when we left the boat in the water over a winter. I fixed them and always hauled after that... Never saw another blister on the boat.

deniseO30 02-01-2013 02:40 PM

I feel and many many others may also feel blisters are not very often a deal breaker.

My boat had water line blisters. and a dozen, dozen or so, on the bottom not many, when we took it down to gel coat most were gone.. some.. not many needed digging out and filling.. 3 yrs now and the barrier coat seems stable.

brokesailor 02-02-2013 07:07 AM

Scupper: I have a 1983 Pacific Seacraft 37. When pulled for the survey it had hundreds of blisters. I bit the bullet and bought the boat anyway after also doing a lot of reading about blisters and alternatives to repair. In the end I thought "have you ever heard of a boat that sank due to blisters?" Really it comes down to resale value.
When it came to repair the Yard was really pushing for me to do the high end $$$$ repair where you remove layers of laminate. I opted for sandblasting then repairing any individual blisters that remained. Cost was around $10K. So far so good. So if you buy the boat make sure wthey come down on the price so you can do the blister repair.
I really liked this article:
Sea Lake Yacht Sales (Kemah, TX)

Squidd 02-02-2013 09:00 AM

I had blisters..I made them go away..

If they come back ...which I doubt...I'll make them go away again...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Squidd/2176.jpg