Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013

sweetb60 is on a distinguished road
Water damage to cabin sole

We are looking at a PS 37 that has visible water damage to the cabin sole. The access panels over the fuel tank are warped and have to be pried up to look beneath. The edges of the sole around the panels are discolored and there are some soft spots. There is also a wet wood strip directly in front of the head. Damage does not appear to extend under the settees ( but not 100% sure of that). Both hatches (salon and v-berth) leak. This appears to be the water source which caused the damage. Is replacing the cabin sole feasible? Not knowing the extent of the damage (under the settees, etc) should we run away as fast as we can? Can anyone recommend a craftsman/woodworker or yard on the east Florida coast (Stuart,Fl) who could give us an educated opinion on the current condition and cost to repair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Water damage to cabin sole

Sounds like a prolonged leakage situation.. I'm sure it's all 'replaceable' but if you can't do it yourself it's going to be quite costly. Also, as you've said, checking further for more hidden damage is important right now.

In today's market, unless there other compelling features to this particular example you might want to keep looking.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-20-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree with Faster, I'd keep looking. Depending on where and how the hatches are leaking, there may be issues on the deck surrounding the hatches, such as soft spots. If the leaks weren't causing so much damage to the interior, it might be worth the risk (and might be worth the cost of a survey or renting of a moisture meter). But you'll need to entirely fix the hatch leaks before you fix the cabin sole, and if you haven't budgeted for those repairs (including their impact on your usage of the boat), you may be in for a big surprize. If she's an otherwise remarkable boat, or a fa tastic deal, then maybe. Otherwise, keep looking.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-20-2013

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

By the time water is over the cabin sole, it is also over the oil fill on the engine, the dampner plate in the bell housing, and the vent on the clutch. You may have lots of price leverage with this boat. Use it wisely and you may have a real deal.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Old 02-20-2013

Alannc44 is on a distinguished road

I had, what sounds like, a very similar leak. It turned out to be water filling up the inside of the mast (from trickling in from halyard lines) and then overflowing through the eye where the wiring harness goes down the center of the mast into the cabin. That little strip of wood was the give-away. Once I removed that I could see how the water followed the wiring harness. Since I keep my boat in Washington, NC PSC fixed it immediately. (There wasn't much damage to mine as I caught it pretty quickly). The long term solution is to drill two weep holes into the bottom of the mast in order to let the mast drain. This seems to be a common problem for a lot of people on many brands of boats. The wiring harness comes up through a short section of pvc pipe. The top where the wires comes through is usually plugged to prevent water from passing below, but you know how that goes over time. At any rate, who wants a mast full of water? ~Alan
Old 02-20-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetb60 View Post
Damage does not appear to extend under the settees ( but not 100% sure of that).
On the PS boats, the sole does not extend under any furniture. All the furniture is part of a fiberglass pan that is bonded directly to the hull. The sole is also sitting on a fiberglass pan. Replacing the sole will not require removing any furniture.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RainDog; 02-20-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

It's the damage you can't see that scares me. I'd walk. Too many boats out there without these issues.
Old 02-23-2013

sweetb60 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input. Raindog, good to know about the extent of the sole (which was confirmed during a conversation my husband had with Thumper at PSC) Alan, We will also look further into the mast/wiring harness issue. There was no evidence that water had intruded to the point that the engine was affected. However, it is showing its age. Knowing we would be looking at older boats with age issues, we allowed for repowering in the budget. Lots of other cosmetic issues, but the owner is willing to negotiate with someone who will care about the boat and give her some TLC. That's us! We know there are lots of boats out there, but we are really sold on the features of this boat. Barring any nasty surprises at the survey, we hope to become happy owners of a soon to be beautiful again PS37! Thanks again to all who responded. This forum has been a good source of info as we were researching the boat.
Old 02-24-2013
s/v Pelagic

jnewcomer is on a distinguished road

Regarding water coming down the mast: LeFiell has a good solution for this. We purchased a new mast step from them last year for $50 (jpg attached). It has drain holes, a proper standpipe and comes painted with LP. Talk to Rodney at LeFiell for details.

Getting the nuts off the bolts for the mast step and SS plate is another story.

John
s/v Pelagic
1980 C37 Yawl #22
Attached Thumbnails
Water damage to cabin sole-img_1043.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013

TeakGuyFL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetb60 View Post
We are looking at a PS 37 that has visible water damage to the cabin sole. The access panels over the fuel tank are warped and have to be pried up to look beneath. The edges of the sole around the panels are discolored and there are some soft spots. There is also a wet wood strip directly in front of the head. Damage does not appear to extend under the settees ( but not 100% sure of that). Both hatches (salon and v-berth) leak. This appears to be the water source which caused the damage. Is replacing the cabin sole feasible? Not knowing the extent of the damage (under the settees, etc) should we run away as fast as we can? Can anyone recommend a craftsman/woodworker or yard on the east Florida coast (Stuart,Fl) who could give us an educated opinion on the current condition and cost to repair?

My name is Chase I dont know how much I can speak about what I do, but I assure you I can help with your issue. If you can kindly give me a call or a email I will definitely help out.

Thanks so much for giving me a chance.
Rgds,
Chase
ChaseWPP at GMail dot com
five six one 8 four O O five 0 0

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.