Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013

Summit_Elan is on a distinguished road
downwind sail for PSC31

Hi all:

I have a PSC 31 (#36) Hinei'ni (nee Clue), and I saw on the PSC owners org website a photo of Journey,a PSC 31 in NC or SC flying an asymetrical spinnaker. The owners association has not responded to my request to join, so I can't post there. I am considering adding an asym to my sail quiver and wanted to hear any pros and cons. I have two furling headsails (yankee and staysail) but I'm not sure if that's relevant or not. I have the bowsprit D-ring and spinnaker blocks at the transom in place. i got a quote from an annapolis sailmaker for $2,800 for the sail, 64 sq. meters, and an ATN sock...I would only need a quick release and about two feet of line or webbing to clear the bow pulpit.

I actually saw another boat (some kind of 352 H/HR?? recently with three furling headsails..the foremost was an asym of sorts, then a yankee, then a staysail. I think that aside from the ability to stay aft and unfurl, this is an expensive, overdone, and less attractive option.

Has anybody installed a third headsail or am I right and this is too much? How much downwind improvement will I see with an asym over the high cut yankee?

Elan
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Re: downwind sail for PSC31

I am on a 34, but pretty close.

With the ATN sock I can set and douse my Asym from the cockpit by myself.

The pros are I get to sail on days I used to stay at the dock or motor. When the wind is 3-8 I can still have a nice relaxing reach. Downwind in 5-10 same story.

The only cons are cost and storage. It is not a small sail and you need to find a place to put it when not in use.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-26-2013

downwind sail for PSC31

Do you run all lines aft, including the halyard? If so, you must sail with the sail hanging down to the deck. Or do you run forward to rig for the down wind and then pack it away for upwind work?

Thanks!
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36
Old 02-26-2013
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit_Elan View Post
Do you run all lines aft, including the halyard? If so, you must sail with the sail hanging down to the deck. Or do you run forward to rig for the down wind and then pack it away for upwind work?

Thanks!
I run forward to rig it. The halyard is tied off at the mast. Running to the cockpit are the sheets and a continuos line attached to a block at deck level that pulls the sock up and down. Once it is set up, I can raise the sock to set the sail from the cockpit using the continuos line. I can also lower the sock to douse the sail from the cockpit using the same line. It is basically identical to a roller furler set up in terms of how the control lines work. It has two advantages over a roller furler set up in my opinion:

1) It is way cheaper since I came this way when I bought the boat
2) It is easier to set up and take down. Than a roller furler.

#1 is of course my driving motivation for this setup. Note I have never tried to douse the sail in 20 knot winds. If I ever have the misfortune I will report back on how it went. My strategy would probably be to head downwind, raise the main (if needed), and then douse in the shadow of the main.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-26-2013

MarcHall is on a distinguished road

The asym will probably give you the most use for a downwind sail and should probably be where you should start.

The ATN sock is well designed, works well and makes deployment and take down of the sail much simpler.

On Crazy Fish, the asym is raised from a spinnaker halyard that is not run back to the cockpit. If I am by myself, the boat goes on autopilot and go forward to set up the sail and deploy it and then head back to the cockpit to trim it.

Although all of my sails have been purchased new, I see a lot of asymmetric spinnakers in the inventory of the used sails vendors such as Minneys in Newport Beach, CA. I recently set up the boat to fly a symmetric spinnaker and purchased a used one from Minneys. The sail did not have a great shape although was in excellent condition and I return it to Minneys and swapped it out for another one which works better.

A new trend for asymmetric spinnakers is the use of a top down furler, I believe Karver was the first but the Profurl has come up with an interesting design. More expensive then an ATN sock but could be set up at the dock and when not in use left up in the rolled position ready to be deployed. The Profurl furler components could also used for Code 0 type sail.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37 Hull 207
Old 02-26-2013

Okay..good feedback...Raindog, I think the ATN line that comes stock is long enough to pull up or pull down the sock, but does not run aft..did you lengthen the line or just spec it longer when you ordered?
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36
Old 02-26-2013
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit_Elan View Post
Okay..good feedback...Raindog, I think the ATN line that comes stock is long enough to pull up or pull down the sock, but does not run aft..did you lengthen the line or just spec it longer when you ordered?
Mine came as is from the previous owner, so not sure.

Next time I fly it, I will try to take and post a video.

Will be a while unfortunately since the boat is out of commission for the next 2 months
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 02-26-2013

adamowens is on a distinguished road

The spinnaker in the photos is a Quantum V3 all purpose asymmetric. It really is a nice addition on those lighter wind days when I need to go downwind. That sail in particular is good for between 90-150 AWA or so. It will not sail any lower though. I've even carried it a little higher in some really light wind.
The downside to the sail is how much room it takes up storing it in the boat. The ATN sock I would guess doubles the volume of the stowed sail. Mine came with a duffel style bag and it takes a big portion of the space in the quarter berth.

Adam
PSC 31 Journey
Old 02-26-2013

downwind sail for PSC31

Hi Adam, thanks for chiming in. Thats a great picture and inspiring too ( to spend money, haha!) Right now all my sails are on the quarter berth so there's really no room, but come better weather, I wouldn't have any sails below except an asym since I'd pull the 130 furling genoa from the boat and have the Yankee and staysail on the furlers. So maybe I could live with that trade off if the down wind performance is so good.
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36
Old 02-26-2013

downwind sail for PSC31

Oh, how heavy do you think it is/ do you just haul it out of the bow hatch?
Pacific Seacraft 31 #36