Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pacific Seacraft
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
19 7/16 X 19 7/16 Bomar 100 replacement options

Mrs. Rain Dog here

Was wondering if anyone has replaced their 19 7/16 X 19 7/16 bomar series 100 hatches with another brand or even replaced with a fiberglass hatch. I'm having a hard time paying $1000 for a hatch, especially when we need two.

I dont think our present hatches would survive a rebuild, due to the flange that holds the rider arms, I think that is what they are called. The flange has a lot of corrosion at the ss attachment. The hinges look good.

Can't find any with the same cut out measurements(dagnabbit).

Thanks,
Erika
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2013

BMLipiec is on a distinguished road
Re: 19 7/16 X 19 7/16 Bomar 100 replacement options

Mrs. Rain Dog,
I feel your pain. Last year, we had a similar problem and I looked all over the place for a replacement that would even come close to fitting, precisely because I didn't want to spend the $$ on new Bomars.

I removed our forward Bomar and bought a new Lewmar (I think it was the Lewmar Ocean 19 1/8 x 19 1/8) from Defender. I knew I needed to do some woodwork for the inside gap (the frame doesn't extend down far enough to meet the headliner), but when I placed the new hatch in the cutout, the flange around the base of the Lewmar did not cover any of the existing screw holes on deck. I would have either had to do some fiberglass work or add some sort of aluminum or wood base (like a washer for a bolt). I'm not good enough with fiberglass to make it look good, and I was concerned with doubling my chance of deck leaks (deck to base seam and base to hatch seam). In the end, I sent the Lewmar back, had the Bomar stripped and anodized (much cheaper than paint and more durable on aluminum, I'm told), and then fixed my cracked support flange with some JB Weld. The anodizing color matched almost perfectly and I have had no issues with the JB Weld fix.

If I had to do it again and couldn't refinish my existing hatch, I would bite the bullet and get the new Bomar. While the Lewmar would work, it requires semi-extensive boat modification and is not as heavy duty as the Bomar. The Bowmar is much more substantial and can be made water tight, whereas the Lewmar frame is much thinner and flexes easily.

Hope that helps,
Brian
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2013
Not Finished Yet

Mrs. Rain Dog here

Thanks for the feedback. That is a good idea to repair the flange, it is not a critical part of the hatch. The rest of the hatch is very good, but will know more when we sand blast it.
Thanks for responding,
Erika
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 03-04-2013

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

My problems are not so bad as yours. All I have done is put stainless helicoils in all (or almost all) of the corroded bolt holes for the props and dab on some new paint. I think I have now done all four bolt holes in each of the two large hatches (saloon and vee berth) and in the smaller hatch (head). I've delt with plastic to aluminum joint leaks with windshield leak stuff in a tube from Advance and replaced the rubber gaskets on all three hatches.

After your note I'll pay better attention to the bubbles under the paint. The devil may be lurking there.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Old 03-04-2013
Not Finished Yet

Mrs. Rain Dog again:

Thanks Irish Eyes. I've gotta ask, was your hatch in the head a factory install? What size is it? Also a bomar?

Thanks,
Erika
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 03-04-2013

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC
wsmurdoch is on a distinguished road

Our two Vetus dorade vents are in the saloon - port and starboard 10 or 12" aft of the bulkhead. The head has a small Bomar opening hatch with an inside spigot of about 10x10". Our boat has a number of other deviations from the brochure boats. I think all were factory installed.

Bill Murdoch
1988 PSC 34
Irish Eyes
Old 03-06-2013

niftynickers is on a distinguished road

In regards to the hatch in the head-When we purchased NiftyNickers the head had a Vetus dorade and a small opening porthole.The head felt claustraphobic and airless.I removed the dorade and installed a Lewmar 10x10 hatch in its place.An amazing difference.Air and light,great!The dorade was then installed in the salon opposite the existing dorade providing more air in the salon.My wife's favorite improvement.

Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 03-06-2013
Not Finished Yet

Mrs. Rain Dog ( sorry I can't seem to sign in on my ocean girl account)
Niftynickers
Wow, thanks! That is what I'm thinking to do. Did you have any surprises when you went to cut out the area.
Thanks
Erika
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

Old 03-11-2013

niftynickers is on a distinguished road

Mrs.RD
The installation of the hatch in the head was surprisingly easy.The deck at that point is very thick,I suppose to support the mast,and requires a good strong saw and several blades.Once the hole is cut you want to seal all the exposed edges with epoxy.Then only the interior trim is needed,I made my own rather than pay the Lewmar price for a trim ring.The improvement in light and air is remarkable.
Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke,S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Old 03-12-2013
Not Finished Yet

Thank you so much, really helps to hear from someone who has done it
Mrs. Rain Dog
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas