SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   PSC 37 Where do you store your dink fuel tank? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/97411-psc-37-where-do-you-store-your-dink-fuel-tank.html)

brokesailor 03-09-2013 08:32 AM

PSC 37 Where do you store your dink fuel tank?

I can't figure out a good place to store my 6 gallon fuel tank when not in use. Presently I tie it over the stern lazarette but this prevents quick emergency access; stern anchor, propane shutoff. Where do you store yours?

sachemgfp 03-09-2013 08:51 AM

Re: PSC 37 Where do you store your dink fuel tank?

I was storing our fuel tank the same way until 3 years ago I bought a 3 gallon flat tank along with the hose and adapter at West Marine. The new tank fits nicely in the propane locker, lies flat. Yes you lose 3 gallons of fuel but it solves the problem.
Hope this helps
George S/V Sachem

MarcHall 03-09-2013 11:23 PM

The propane locker is the obvious place to store a gasoline tank but according to our insurance surveryor the propane locker should only store propane. If you choose to store gasoline in your propane locker make sure the gasoline tank is not in the locker when you have the boat surveyed. The propane locker should store only propane, no gasoline, no oil, no hydraulic fluid ...... propane only.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
San Diego
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37

sailak 03-10-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcHall (Post 1000609)
The propane locker is the obvious place to store a gasoline tank but according to our insurance surveryor the propane locker should only store propane.

I wonder why? I can understand a concern of something knocking a valve off a propane tank causing a leak, but simply having something in the same compartment isn't a risk that I can see.

It's the logical place to store a gas tank. Remote from the rest of the vessel, vented/drained to outside.

Perhaps it was just the surveyors opinion.

MarcHall 03-11-2013 12:53 AM

I agree with your comments but I believe for 3 years following that survey my insurance came with a clause that I would store nothing but propane in the propane locker.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
San Diego
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37

sailak 03-11-2013 02:19 AM

Your surveyor would have come unglued if he'd looked at my Omega 36. The anchor locker/propane locker are the same compartment.

RainDog 03-11-2013 03:07 AM

What about under the helm seat?

brokesailor 03-11-2013 06:35 AM

PSC 37 Where do you store your dink fuel tank?

Rain dog there is no midship helm seat. There is a port and stbd lazarette but they are not vented. Actually I think they into the engine compartment.

niftynickers 03-11-2013 09:06 PM

Our 3 gallon gas tank is kept in a heavy canvas bag,shaded from the sun in the bag,on the foredeck lashed to the staysail stay fitting when underway.I coudn't come up with any other location on our tiller steered 37.
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139