SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New PSC 37 owner- need help with A/C

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  ellenwhite2 
#1 ·
Greetings all,
Last week I became the proud owner of a new (for me) 1989 Crealock 37. I found a lot of the material on this site to be very helpful, and hopefully I can contribute something back as I go through the modifications (repower, electrical repairs etc.). I could use some advice regarding air conditioning. I am looking at installing a Dometic Vector Turbo 16,000 BTU unit under the starboard settee. Any information on running ductwork and problems encountered would be appreciated. I did a web search and could not find where anyone had done an installation on a PSC 37. Thanks.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. My main concern was whether or not it is OK to run ductwork through a bulkhead without affecting the strength. There isn't a lot to admire right now, everything is pretty torn up. In addition to the repower, I took out the head and am replacing it with a composting head. The original owner went straight to the Bahamas and never plumbed the holding tank (they used it as another water tank)- everything went straight over the side. I have fond memories of maintaining the head on a Pearson 323 so I decided to try something different. I'll post some before and after pictures.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies. [snip] I took out the head and am replacing it with a composting head. The original owner went straight to the Bahamas and never plumbed the holding tank (they used it as another water tank)- everything went straight over the side. I have fond memories of maintaining the head on a Pearson 323 so I decided to try something different. I'll post some before and after pictures.
I also know nothing about AC but wanted to extend congratulations and welcome! I would also love to hear (and see pics) of the composting toilet conversion. Our Lavac is great but I'd dearly love to get rid of the holding tank and rats nest of hoses! Please keep us posted.

Jay
PSC 37 # 171, Kenlanu
Oriental NC heading home to Maine

#6 ·
If I can remember correctly, I ran the main supply up to the corner behind the seat back and had it aiming up into the main cabin. I then "y"d it off with the intent of sending it towards the galley area. When I starting cutting holes with a four inch hole saw, I found there was enough room between the under seat storage area and the outside of the seat to run a three inch flexible duct. Using this newly discovered unused area, I avoided having to lose part of the under seat storage. I also "y"d off a four inch hose through the head to discharge into the forward berth. It was only possible using a four inch hole saw on a electric drill. A circular four inch hole will not weaken the structure. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
Took my AC out. It was in the Starboard locker just behind the mast step. I needed it for my batteries. It was a two part system with the condenser taking up 1/2 of the large v-birth locker. Another reason to jetison. Wife wants it back in so it will probably go under v-birth but haven't figured out logistics yet. Figure the two part was different from what you have.

#12 ·
Thanks. She is getting a topside paint job as we speak. This has been a long road, but the end is in sight. We received the new fuel tank last week and the rudder gudgeon was shipped from PS on Monday- that was the critical path part. Bad things happen when you don't maintain the zincs. Thumper said he had never seen a gudgeon that badly corroded. I will post some pics shortly.

#13 ·
On my 37 i installed the 16000btu ac unit in the locker in the quarter berth. I had to take the starteing battery and put be it behind the engine.i put the supply duck in the door that goes into that locker. Had to may the shelve longer for the unit to sit on. There is also room for the pump. The return come through the charttable seat .this puts the noise the unit makesaway away from the pullman berth. I dont live on the boat . If i had it to do over, i would be using the 5000btu ac unit in the hatch. And put that money somewere else. This my 2cents

#14 ·
Pictures of the boat, the areas you need to pass through would help, Running simple duct-work is not rocket science, and going through a bulk head should not weaken it if you stay clear of the edges.

#15 ·
Our 16K BTU unit is under the V berth. The duct work is run thru the hanging locker, exiting into both the top surface to cool the v berth and the side to cool the cabin. Eats up some storage space, but I can still hang foulies and have hanging fabric shelves x 2 towards the front of the locker to hold T shirts, etc. Had to sacrifice most of the accessible storage under the v berth, tho. It's kinda loud to sleep on top of the compressor, but it drowns out the hubby's snoring. Haha! He will say same about me! We also installed a Smart Start capacitor, so we can run the AC at anchor with the Honda 2000, if it gets too hot outside. Our boat's a '77, so the general layout may differ from yours. I'll be glad to send pics, if you like. Oh, and congrats on a fabulous boat!!
Ellen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.