SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   Anyone with Manson Supreme? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/98081-anyone-manson-supreme.html)

thor 04-02-2013 01:13 PM

Anyone with Manson Supreme?

Any have a Manson Supreme anchor on a PSC34 or 37? I am curious what size and how the fit is, plus if it releases/retrieves well.

Gladrags1 04-03-2013 06:28 AM

Anyone with Manson Supreme?

We have a Manson Supreme on our Bayfield 36 and love it. I am not certain of which one we have but it has held in every situation we deployed her in. We sail the Chesapeake and have anchored in mud, grassy areas, hard sand, rocky bottoms as well as old oyster beds and it has bit in every time. The most impressive was when last summers derecho hit the Bay. Huge winds hit at 90 degrees to the prevailing wind as we were at anchor. These winds were 60 to 70 mph and almost knocked us down as the boat swung around to face the wind. These winds kept up for 2 and one half hours with constant intense rain and lightning. This was easily the worst storm my wife and I were ever at anchor in. We did not drag anchor at all but it took seemingly forever to retrieve it and wash all if the mud off the next day!

We have 175' of chain attached to the anchor and it deploys off of a roller at the end of a bowsprit. It is well balanced and easily self deploys. Retrieval is easy enough.

I don't know offhand the boat you are referring to and it's roller system so I cannot comment on that. If all else fails, maybe make a cardboard mockup of the anchor and see how it fits that way.

If you can make it work, you won't be disappointed with the anchor!

Tod

thor 04-03-2013 08:58 AM

Re: Anyone with Manson Supreme?

Thanks Tod. What size Manson did to go with?

RainDog 04-03-2013 09:39 AM

We have a 45lb Manson Supreme on our 34. You can see a picture of it here:

RAIN DOG: Damn Head

If we were to do it all over, we would buy the same anchor.

paperbird 04-03-2013 10:05 AM

We also have the 45 on our Pearson 422. Like Rain Dog, we sail the Chesapeake and have been incredibly impressed with how well it holds. During the Derecho last season, we ended up short scoped (4:1 - way too short for my taste!) due to limited swing area on an all chain rode. Sat in the cockpit with the engine running just in case. We sailed back and forth on the anchor somewhat, but didn't budge.

thor 04-03-2013 10:09 AM

Thanks RainDog. Exactly what I was looking at. The anchor tooth ever want to bite into the bow at top?

RainDog 04-03-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor (Post 1011585)
Thanks RainDog. Exactly what I was looking at. The anchor tooth ever want to bite into the bow at top?

This is an issue with the Crealock design IMHO. It really should have a short bowsprit for this and other reasons. In a chop it will for sure hit te bow when it swings as you raise it if you are not very careful. i have not noticed this to be any worse with the Manson than with our previous 33 lb CQR.

Once the shank starts into the roller, it is no longer a problem.

Gladrags1 04-04-2013 05:55 AM

My anchor size

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor (Post 1011548)
Thanks Tod. What size Manson did to go with?

I believe I have the 45 lb. Manson Supreme.

Tod

Pegasus34 04-04-2013 03:21 PM

We have a 35 lb. Manson Supreme on the bow roller of our PSC 34 (similar to Rain Dog's), but we drilled a 1/2" hole so we could use a pin to keep it in place. Sorry, I don't have any photos, but could take on soon. The pin helps, but the anchor still rocks up and down so if unrestrained it can hit the bow. We just keep it in place with a bungy cord.
Steve

BirdBrain333 04-22-2013 03:26 PM

Dear Thor,

We have the 35lb Manson Supreme on our PSC 37 bow roller with a danforth tipped sideways on the other roller. The two "play well together" and the Manson supreme is simply supreme. The West/Yachtworld anchor test showed it held to 5,000 lbs on a 5:1 scope in 2 of three locations, no idea why not in the other. Usually the only problem is getting it out! We dragged only once when it was blowing 45 knots sustained and I neglected to factor in the height of the waves (breaking over our bow in our quote protected unquote anchorage). In 8 feet of water a five foot wave alters the geometry significantly -- as I learned the hard (but not too hard) way.

A great anchor in my opinion.

Jay

PSC # 171 Kenlanu