SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pacific Seacraft (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/)
-   -   PSC 37 running backstays... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pacific-seacraft/98782-psc-37-running-backstays.html)

sailak 04-23-2013 09:54 AM

PSC 37 running backstays...

The prior owner removed the inner stay and furler along with the running backs. I am installing a new staysail and furler in a couple of weeks and would like (since the riggers will be in town) to get the runners set up as well. I have the vinyl coated wire for the standing part of the runners....what do I need for the running end? How many blocks/what reduction?

Thanks.

Faster 04-23-2013 10:31 AM

Re: PSC 37 running backstays...

Are there winches available for tensioning? If so you won't need much of a tackle.. if not I'd think 6:1 should be adequate and have seen plenty of 4:1s, but perhaps on smaller boats.

zz4gta 04-23-2013 01:21 PM

+1 you'll need a winch to adjust them, and the farther back onthe boat you can anchor the better but have seen them much closer to the mast and they still work ok.

SK78 Would be my #1 choice, add some cover and you're good to go. A 4:1 puchase will be plenty with a winch. V-100 would be another good choice or endurabraid. Depending on how long the standing part is, you shouldn't need too much line.
See the white line coming from the two blocked backstay:
http://www.mc38association.com/MC38_Carbonado_003.jpg
Sorry for the big picture.

Shoot me a PM or email for more info.

niftynickers 04-23-2013 02:05 PM

The running backs on NiftyNickers are as you said: vinly covered wire with a toggle at the bottom and then a 7/16 braided line thru two fiddle blocks with snap shackles at each end.The lines are long enough to reach the main sheet winches on either side.In twenty years of onshore and offshore sailing I've never had to crank them on the winches.

Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

MarcHall 04-23-2013 03:34 PM

I replaced the wire with properly sized Amsteel Blue.
Lighter weight, installed with splices, stronger.

I currently have a fiddle block rig that NiftyNickers discusses but some (including master rigger Brion Toss) make a case for doing away with the fiddle blocks and just running the line to one of the jib sheet winches.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37

Time Traveler 04-23-2013 04:35 PM

Depending which mast you have, you may not need to rig your running backstays all that often, or need to tension them mightily when you do. As Niftynickers commented in a similar thread about a year ago:

"I asked Bill Crealock about this a few years ago.He said that the only time the running backs are needed is in heavy winds with the staysail loaded to prevent mast pumping.He then added that he designed the boat for a thinner,lighter mast and the backs were a necessity but that PSC used a much stronger heavier mast so the backs are somewhat redundant.I find with the backs rigged it is difficult to maneuver around them so I only use them when going offshore."

I got a similar response from Thumper when visiting the factory -- unless the mast is visibly pumping, the running backs are probably not necessary ... but fine if belts-and-suspenders approach is preferred, especially offshore in heavy weather.

We took a PSC 34 across (Abaco-Bermuda-Azores-Gibralter) two years ago, using the running backs only when we had the storm sail up on the baby stay. We just clipped the active running back to the factory padeye (about even with the aft corner of the cabin, same as on our 37) and cranked it in using the factory 4:1 fiddle block and camcleat. No mast pumping at all, for sure.

jrd22 04-23-2013 10:49 PM

Brion Toss convinced me to do away with the SS and replace with Amsteel. It is spliced to line and we use the off side winches, the old fiddle blocks never worked very well.

RainDog 04-24-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 1020605)
Brion Toss convinced me to do away with the SS and replace with Amsteel. It is spliced to line and we use the off side winches, the old fiddle blocks never worked very well.

I think this is the best way to go, but since they are almost never used, I went the cheap way an bought one of these:

Garhauer Marine Hardware -6088284

I attach it to one runner (the vinyl coated wire) and run it to the shrouds. It is both my plan for setting the runners, and also my man overboard recovery device.

BirdBrain333 05-10-2013 02:20 PM

I think you'll be happy with the set up you have purchased -- simple, and easy to leave set up on either side while tacking to windward. As others have suggested, we use them only in heavy weather to avoid any mast pumping. I set them with a good pull or two and am done with them for the trip.

Jay
SV Kenlanu
Headed home to Maine from the Bahamas

sailak 05-24-2013 06:47 AM

Got the running backstays up last week. Amsteel Blue for the standing part, 4:1 reduction with cam-cleated fiddle block. Now to go sailing and try them out!!