Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014

Jaluku is on a distinguished road
Advice for switching a Pearson 30 Motor

Can anyone advise me on changing the motor on my Pearson 30.
Do I need to rebuild the engine bed or engine brackets?
I have a working Faryman A30 diesel engine and would like to switch it out for a Yanmar 2GM20F.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

lunarrichard is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice for switching a Pearson 30 Motor

not sure if you are planning on doing the engine change yourself or paying someone to do it for you. in either case the yanmar 20gm20f is a fantastic engine and you will be very pleased with that choice in your P30. i have P30 hull number 346(1973) with a 20gm20f that was installed in i think 2000. i have had the boat since 2008 and have had absolutely no problems with the engine. in fact when i bought the boat i could have probably sold the engine for as much as i paid for the boat. my other boat had an atomic bomb in it and there is no comparison between the two engines. nothing but trouble with the gas engine(mostly from infrequent use) as opposed to absolutely no problems with the 20gm20f. from what research i have done if you keep the oil changed, the fuel clean, and have a strong battery the engine will start and run just fine.

i do not know if there is much of a used market for the 20gm20f since they are such great engines. i don't know why anyone would ever replace one unless it went under water or just got worn out.

keep us posted on what you end up doing, would enjoy reading about your refit.

good luck!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

the A-30 is a pretty unique piece of "history" take it and put on a cart and take it to boat shows or build a diesel motor cycle?

You may find that Beta is a better fit for your P-30.

jus sayin

good luck!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

sulli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarrichard View Post
not sure if you are planning on doing the engine change yourself or paying someone to do it for you. in either case the yanmar 20gm20f is a fantastic engine and you will be very pleased with that choice in your P30. i have P30 hull number 346(1973) with a 20gm20f that was installed in i think 2000. i have had the boat since 2008 and have had absolutely no problems with the engine. in fact when i bought the boat i could have probably sold the engine for as much as i paid for the boat. my other boat had an atomic bomb in it and there is no comparison between the two engines. nothing but trouble with the gas engine(mostly from infrequent use) as opposed to absolutely no problems with the 20gm20f. from what research i have done if you keep the oil changed, the fuel clean, and have a strong battery the engine will start and run just fine.

i do not know if there is much of a used market for the 20gm20f since they are such great engines. i don't know why anyone would ever replace one unless it went under water or just got worn out.

keep us posted on what you end up doing, would enjoy reading about your refit.

good luck!

Do you have any photos of your 2gm20f installation? I just purchased the same engine for my P30 hull #835. My atomic 4 has water in the oil and I made the jump to diesel. Now just have to get in there, its quite a bit wider than the A4. So some photos of the motor mounts would be real big help. I will be replacing the fuel tank as well since that was planned before the A4 went down its so full of crud we had to use a gas can to run the the engine.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

lunarrichard is on a distinguished road

i will look for some engine compartment pictures for you. it is not all that easy for me to take pictures since i live in Florida and the boat is in the Bahamas. i do know from crawling around in the engine compartment that there are two beams or stringers or whatever you call them glassed into the hull that run fore and aft. these structures protrude about four inches or so from the bottom of the hull and these are what the motor mounts for my 2gm20f are attached to. i never saw the inside of the boat when the atomic four was installed. i assume that the engine had to come out forward of where it sits. my fuel tank is plastic and holds approximately 17 gallons of diesel. compared to some engine installations i have seen there appears to be quite a bit of room surrounding the engine but it is a tight fit on the top underneath the cockpit floor. it is a pain to access the oil dip stick and put the hose in there for changing the oil but i have gotten used to it. the oil fill is also a tight fit when it comes time to put the 2 quarts of oil in after an oil change but after spilling oil all over the place a couple of times you will find a way to deftly pour oil in there without a mess.

other than trying to find you some pictures let me know if there is anything else that i can share with you. you will love the 2gm20f. it really is a fantastic engine!!

andy
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Jaluku is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarrichard View Post
i will look for some engine compartment pictures for you. it is not all that easy for me to take pictures since i live in Florida and the boat is in the Bahamas. i do know from crawling around in the engine compartment that there are two beams or stringers or whatever you call them glassed into the hull that run fore and aft. these structures protrude about four inches or so from the bottom of the hull and these are what the motor mounts for my 2gm20f are attached to. i never saw the inside of the boat when the atomic four was installed. i assume that the engine had to come out forward of where it sits. my fuel tank is plastic and holds approximately 17 gallons of diesel. compared to some engine installations i have seen there appears to be quite a bit of room surrounding the engine but it is a tight fit on the top underneath the cockpit floor. it is a pain to access the oil dip stick and put the hose in there for changing the oil but i have gotten used to it. the oil fill is also a tight fit when it comes time to put the 2 quarts of oil in after an oil change but after spilling oil all over the place a couple of times you will find a way to deftly pour oil in there without a mess.

other than trying to find you some pictures let me know if there is anything else that i can share with you. you will love the 2gm20f. it really is a fantastic engine!!

andy
If you can please send me pictures of the engine mounts and where you mount the engine controllers.i have all winter to put this engine together.any help would be much appreciated.And other person with the same engine please share with me your experience