Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Balsa Cored Hull?

Now, to what got me poking in this thread again....

Can you tell me which Pearson models, if any, feature end grain balsa cored hulls?

I know that most Pearsons had EG balsa cored decks, but have seen some references to balsa cored hulls. I didn't think that any Pearsons had balsa in the hull.

Thanks in advance!

- Ed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2009
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
...the loss of the archive was a human error that happened with no other brand and is indeed regrettable but people do make mistakes.
OK - Thanks Cam. that clarifies it... a "homer moment"

I agree that this could/should have been better communicated to the members of SN. I also believe that the email lists were not of much value - to me anyway...

I didn't see how a manufacturer that was out of business could have caused a problem, but then I'm no expert...

So, as Rosanne Rosanna-Danna would say, Ooooh - Never mind!

(How does one remove virtual egg from their face?)

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-12-2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-12-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ahhh...now I understand. Thanks for the explanation! Nah...just plain old human error on that one!
Old 01-12-2009
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I also believe that the email lists were not of much value - to me anyway...
Just to chime in - I am not exagerating when I say that the Pearson E-mail list generated a dozen messages on a slow day, many days much more. It was a heavily trafficked function of which many folks used to avail themselves. For whatever reason, the Pearsonites seemed to prefer the convenience of using their e-mail in-boxes over checking a message board web site. The rate of use of the Yahoo and Google Pearson e-mail lists is lower than the SN list had been, I'm not sure why. Perhaps folks felt they lost a sense of community? It's too bad. I tried to get them to start checking the SN Gear and Maintenance board since much of what was e-mailed was really not specific to Pearsons, but I haven't seen the familiar names. Oh well.
Old 01-12-2009
Learning the HARD way...

Thumbs up Back on track

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbondy View Post
The rate of use of the Yahoo and Google Pearson e-mail lists is lower than the SN list had been, I'm not sure why. Perhaps folks felt they lost a sense of community? It's too bad. I tried to get them to start checking the SN Gear and Maintenance board since much of what was e-mailed was really not specific to Pearsons, but I haven't seen the familiar names. Oh well.
I don't get it... I would much rather ask a question to a forum, and have it answered, and reference-able for posterity (assuming that it's a good question ). I belong to a motorcycle forum (www.my-mc.com), and a related motorcycle email list. The email list just puts additional gunk in your email inbox. Because of this, I have dropped membership in the email list (unsubscribe) several times.

Getting back to the subject at hand...

Can anyone tell me which Pearson models, if any, feature end grain balsa cored hulls? I read somewhere that the Pearson 53 did... I believe that other Pearson models had balsa core in areas where stiffness was important, but not throughout the hull.

- Ed
Old 01-21-2009

Axle2121 is on a distinguished road
I bought a '74 Pearson 39 Yawl a few months ago and I love her. Great boat, fast, handles the weather and has a balanced sail plan. Took her for a week long cruise to Biscayne Bay over Christmas with my kids and my dad and we had a great time. If there's any other P39 owners out there, drop me a line.

cheers,
Alex
Old 02-07-2009
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
I'm working on a site for the Pearson 27-2.... it's been slow going but will have good info on it. The loss of the email list was very unfortunate... not to mention the wealth of info here on SN.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I don't get it... I would much rather ask a question to a forum, and have it answered, and reference-able for posterity (assuming that it's a good question ). I belong to a motorcycle forum (www.my-mc.com), and a related motorcycle email list. The email list just puts additional gunk in your email inbox. Because of this, I have dropped membership in the email list (unsubscribe) several times.
- Ed
Think that may be the convenience of it, I can run through my email much quicker than I can look things up on a forum.

email can be recieved over packet radio or similar anywhere in the world. so an email list is great for cruisers.
To do the same thing while with a forum while cruising would require an expensive sat phone and a not too cheap service, or waiting till you found a hotspot.

Ken.
Old 03-25-2009

doublec9 is on a distinguished road
Just dropping a line to say you've got another Pearson owner following the thread. I own a Pearson 30. Does anyone know how one may be able to find out a boat's original hull color? Is there Pearson list by serial number that has this information?
Old 10-04-2009

aferlazzo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublec9 View Post
Just dropping a line to say you've got another Pearson owner following the thread. I own a Pearson 30. Does anyone know how one may be able to find out a boat's original hull color? Is there Pearson list by serial number that has this information?
Since Pearson ceased operations so long ago, I doubt very much that such a list could now be found.

If you really must know, I recommend removing all the bottom paint in a small section and then scratching carefully until you get to the original gelcoat. My bet is it was white. Or, next time the boat is out of the water, remove one of the thru hulls and examine the cross section of the hull with a magnifying glass.