Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
another P26 owner here, up the Potomac on the Occoquan ...

Pearson 26 #1200
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Can anyone tell me which Pearson models, if any, feature end grain balsa cored hulls? I read somewhere that the Pearson 53 did... I believe that other Pearson models had balsa core in areas where stiffness was important, but not throughout the hull.
Answering my own question - for posterity

The Pearson 34-2 (1989, and later) had a balsa-cored hull and deck. Balsa is present in the hull of this vessel both above and below the waterline.

Anyone else?

- Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 02-09-2013

jamesorr is on a distinguished road
Re: Pearson thread

We own a 1979 365 ketch, it sails very well and is really solid with zero flex. nothing squeaks or creaks, even in heavy seas, and we enjoy the sail plan choice with the mizzen option. It is comfy to live on too.
Old 02-10-2013

jim murdock is on a distinguished road

Our new to us P-30 is on the hard at Sandusky Harbor Marina after being shipped here from Il. in Jan. We haven't sailed her yet (that would be a trick on a frozen Lake Erie!) but I've had a chance to go over her more thoroughly. The more I do the more impressed I am. This is our 4th boat and I am convinced we lucked out here. Pearson was one of only three makers I was interested in. It sure looks like a good choice.
Old 02-13-2013

jamesorr is on a distinguished road

The cruiser's forum website has an awesome Pearson board with just about any and all info one could need. Look under the heading "boatbuilders" then click "others", scroll down and find the Pearson thread.
Old 02-14-2013

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road

We bought a 1966 Wanderer last October - hull#5. She is a great boat. Curious to know how many wanderers are still out there. We sail out of Point Lookout, MD.
Old 02-15-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

CloseCall-

I'm up near Annapolis, but do sail south during the season. Keep in touch.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-12-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch View Post
Skipper--Tons of Pearsonites used the (now gone) email list here on Sailnet. The "management" made a (bad) business decision to drop all the email lists and force people to this forum, and then they dropped the manufacturer specific forums. They wanted the server used for the email lists for other uses. (Still waiting for someone to pull the plug on Sailnet altogether if the outfit could not afford one new server.) For your Pearson fix I suggest joining the Pearson groups on Yahoo and Google. Those are the places the Pearsonites migrated to from the defunct Sailnet email list.

I owned a p-27 for 14 years, and now own a P-33-2. You're correct that Pearson made good sailing and tough boats.
I know I'm replying to a post that's about 5 years old, but I wanted to ask a bit more about the Yahoo/Google Pearson groups. I was a member of the Yahoo Pearson group, and DID find the folks there very helpful; I learned a lot from them. However, I cancelled my Yahoo account when Yahoo decided that my privacy was theirs to own and disrespect. Don't even ask me about Google. Sadly, without giving my soul to either of those two corporations, I can no longer communicate with those groups.

Does anyone know of any non-yahoo-or-google-based email lists for pearsons? Is there a way to circumvent the requirement of using a Yahoo or Google account for access to the existing groups?

Thanks..

Barry

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 10-16-2013

Already There is on a distinguished road

own a 1976 Pearson 365 ketch rig. Absolutely love the thing. She's a heavy duty, thick hulled, easy sailing boat. Repowered with Perkins 4108 and all new standing rigging, wiring and plumbing. Fun for all to learn on. Nice for coastal cruising. 4.5" draft makes her good for FL coast. Pensacola bay is where we start our weekends.
Old 10-20-2013

CaptainKelly is on a distinguished road
Pearson 10M Spreaders

This past summer I bought a 1977 Pearson 10M. The rigger was concerned about the spreaders - they are secured with one screw to a housing on the mast. (Mine appear exactly the same as Dan Pfeiffer's.) I have a LOT of play in them, but it appears that they were designed this way.

They also are cutting into my halyards and the leading edge of the spreaders show extensive wear from the halyards grooving them for 35 years...

Can anyone weigh in on this?

I don't mind replacing the halyards, but it's not something I'd like to do every 5 years (if there's a design flaw) or I could put in a fairlead to keep the halyards off the spreaders, but I can just imagine the slapping that I couldn't then silence...I'm already wincing...

Thoughts?