SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pearson thread

14K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  LouR 
#1 ·
Pearson sailboats, although not made for some time now, continue to ply the seas more or less all over the world. Their affordability and toughness make them a great buy for coastal and (with larger models) offshore work. Their quality may be the best of their era for a mid level production boat.
Would like to see others chime in on their Pearsons. There are a lot of them out there.
Thank you.

SkipperB

#2 ·
Proud owner of a Pearson 31-2. I have had her for 6 months now and still am in love. 3 weeks ago I had her out, balanced the sailplan and didn't need to touch the wheel for over 7 mins to stay on course. Not many boats can do that. :D
Welcome to Sailnet

Michael

#6 ·
Pearson

I have a '76 Pearson 26 and race her in the Hampton VA area and cruise the Chesapeake. It is my first sailboat and I love her. Sturdy, forgiving and can be fast when skipper, crew, boat, and elements work together. I have taken home some silver this year.

Tom Connors
S/V fins Up
Pearson 26
Hampton Va

#7 ·
Glad to hear from Pearson owners!

Thanks for some posts on this. I agree on their being very well balanced.
I have a '74 P-30 and on a run to Boston from Portland, made over 20 miles without really touching the wheel (no autopilot on board), close hauled. I regularly catch 20+ minutes sleep time and rarely wake up due to her falling off course. I have sailed several Pearson's and they all have performed well.
Put 1600 NM on her season before last, only about 1100 this season due to less favorable weather pattern this year.
Thanks for the comments and will be good to read more!

SkipperB
S.V. Suell
Dover Point, NH

#9 ·
that was in the late 60's. It was about 2 blocks off the water on the main road going to Fruitland i believe. We lived there when i was in elementary school. There was nothing there. The post office was general delivery where you had to go in and pick up your mail. They had a stop light until a tall truck knocked it ut and they never fixed it.

#10 ·
Skipper--Tons of Pearsonites used the (now gone) email list here on Sailnet. The "management" made a (bad) business decision to drop all the email lists and force people to this forum, and then they dropped the manufacturer specific forums. They wanted the server used for the email lists for other uses. (Still waiting for someone to pull the plug on Sailnet altogether if the outfit could not afford one new server.) For your Pearson fix I suggest joining the Pearson groups on Yahoo and Google. Those are the places the Pearsonites migrated to from the defunct Sailnet email list.

I owned a p-27 for 14 years, and now own a P-33-2. You're correct that Pearson made good sailing and tough boats.

#19 · (Edited)
What the ....?

... The "management" made a (bad) business decision to drop all the email lists and force people to this forum, and then they dropped the manufacturer specific forums. They wanted the server used for the email lists for other uses....
:confused:
I hadn't realized that the entire Pearson thread was whacked!...:rolleyes: :( It make me want to ...:puke

There was a virtual gold mine of information here for Pearson owners, and prospective owners, like myself.

I specifically patronized SN (the business), and have encouraged others to do so, despite lower prices elsewhere, because; a - they supported the forums, and b - had the items I wanted in stock. Now I feel that some of the value of SN (the business and the site) has been diminished :mad: I imagine that Cam's recent experience with a particular manufacturer (begins with "T") may have had something to do with the decision.

This is still a lot of great info and people here in SN. I hope to continue to participate and add value where I can. It's too bad that SN is no longer the manufacturer resource that it once was.

Here is one way we can address this loss; There is a boatload of other good Pearson info out there. I only wish that I knew half of it... For those of you that would like some other sources of Pearson information, here are the ones that I use;
I encourage any others that may have good PEARSON specific resources to post links to them here.

- Ed

#13 ·
Merc2dogs
I don't know. Really only been using this site for a couple of weeks although I joined a few months ago.
This seems as good a place as any. I have not checked out the Google or Yahoo ones as noted above. Really don't have time to be all over the place.
Maybe this one will stick and others will use it too.
Thanks.

#17 ·
Merc2dogs
I don't know. Really only been using this site for a couple of weeks although I joined a few months ago.
This seems as good a place as any. I have not checked out the Google or Yahoo ones as noted above. Really don't have time to be all over the place.
Maybe this one will stick and others will use it too.
Thanks.
Skipper, you can join the Yahoo and Google group email lists and the emails then magically appear in your inbox--no need to go all over the place after the initial visit to join. Unfortunately those 2 lists are the best game in town for us Pearsonites. Sailnet had the email list business all to themselves until they screwed it up because they couldn't afford to buy one new server.

#15 ·
Agree, it's a good site, I've been here for a good long while.
I was just wondering where the old pearson forum went, there were a lot of posts there, I know I started a few threads myself and posted to many others, but they're not even showing up when I search for posts I've made.

Ken.

#18 ·
Pearson info

We love our Pearson 365 and cruised in it for over a year with our family of 5. Prior to that, we owned a Pearson 30, which sailed really well. It was just a little small for a year long cruise!
We are considering a 39-2 and wondering if there are any owners out there. It is a 1987 centerboard version. Any input would be helpful! Thanks

#21 ·
Balsa Cored Hull?

Now, to what got me poking in this thread again....

Can you tell me which Pearson models, if any, feature end grain balsa cored hulls?

I know that most Pearsons had EG balsa cored decks, but have seen some references to balsa cored hulls. I didn't think that any Pearsons had balsa in the hull.:confused:

Thanks in advance!

- Ed

#26 ·
I bought a '74 Pearson 39 Yawl a few months ago and I love her. Great boat, fast, handles the weather and has a balanced sail plan. Took her for a week long cruise to Biscayne Bay over Christmas with my kids and my dad and we had a great time. If there's any other P39 owners out there, drop me a line.

cheers,
Alex

#30 ·
Just dropping a line to say you've got another Pearson owner following the thread. I own a Pearson 30. Does anyone know how one may be able to find out a boat's original hull color? Is there Pearson list by serial number that has this information?
Since Pearson ceased operations so long ago, I doubt very much that such a list could now be found.

If you really must know, I recommend removing all the bottom paint in a small section and then scratching carefully until you get to the original gelcoat. My bet is it was white. Or, next time the boat is out of the water, remove one of the thru hulls and examine the cross section of the hull with a magnifying glass.

#34 ·
Our new to us P-30 is on the hard at Sandusky Harbor Marina after being shipped here from Il. in Jan. We haven't sailed her yet (that would be a trick on a frozen Lake Erie!) but I've had a chance to go over her more thoroughly. The more I do the more impressed I am. This is our 4th boat and I am convinced we lucked out here. Pearson was one of only three makers I was interested in. It sure looks like a good choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.