SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pearson (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pearson/)
-   -   Pearson thread (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pearson/49199-pearson-thread.html)

SkipperB 11-24-2008 06:29 PM

Pearson thread

Pearson sailboats, although not made for some time now, continue to ply the seas more or less all over the world. Their affordability and toughness make them a great buy for coastal and (with larger models) offshore work. Their quality may be the best of their era for a mid level production boat.
Would like to see others chime in on their Pearsons. There are a lot of them out there.
Thank you.

SkipperB

TxLnghrn 11-24-2008 07:55 PM

Proud owner of a Pearson 31-2. I have had her for 6 months now and still am in love. 3 weeks ago I had her out, balanced the sailplan and didn't need to touch the wheel for over 7 mins to stay on course. Not many boats can do that. :D
Welcome to Sailnet

Michael

jackytdunaway 11-24-2008 08:01 PM

I love my P-27-2. Sails nice and lots of space for a boat that size

theblackspot 11-25-2008 12:17 AM

live aboard my p26. sail it almost daily, raced 24 miles in the decanter challenge last week, on the st. johns river. fun, easy to sail boat. leaving for the dominican republic the first of the year.
bill

jackytdunaway 11-25-2008 07:09 AM

Is that the St. Johns in Florida? If so i lived in Welaka back in the late sixties when i was a kid. My grandmother had a worm farm a block off the river

Majordude 11-25-2008 10:44 AM

Pearson

I have a '76 Pearson 26 and race her in the Hampton VA area and cruise the Chesapeake. It is my first sailboat and I love her. Sturdy, forgiving and can be fast when skipper, crew, boat, and elements work together. I have taken home some silver this year.

Tom Connors
S/V fins Up
Pearson 26
Hampton Va

SkipperB 11-25-2008 11:42 AM

Glad to hear from Pearson owners!

Thanks for some posts on this. I agree on their being very well balanced.
I have a '74 P-30 and on a run to Boston from Portland, made over 20 miles without really touching the wheel (no autopilot on board), close hauled. I regularly catch 20+ minutes sleep time and rarely wake up due to her falling off course. I have sailed several Pearson's and they all have performed well.
Put 1600 NM on her season before last, only about 1100 this season due to less favorable weather pattern this year.
Thanks for the comments and will be good to read more!

SkipperB
S.V. Suell
Dover Point, NH

theblackspot 11-28-2008 03:42 PM

welaka

yes, the st. johns river florida. I am currently using a slip at andersons lodge in welaka. and bait is hard to find here. wheres the worm farm?

jackytdunaway 11-29-2008 04:59 PM

that was in the late 60's. It was about 2 blocks off the water on the main road going to Fruitland i believe. We lived there when i was in elementary school. There was nothing there. The post office was general delivery where you had to go in and pick up your mail. They had a stop light until a tall truck knocked it ut and they never fixed it.

SailorMitch 11-29-2008 05:39 PM

Skipper--Tons of Pearsonites used the (now gone) email list here on Sailnet. The "management" made a (bad) business decision to drop all the email lists and force people to this forum, and then they dropped the manufacturer specific forums. They wanted the server used for the email lists for other uses. (Still waiting for someone to pull the plug on Sailnet altogether if the outfit could not afford one new server.) For your Pearson fix I suggest joining the Pearson groups on Yahoo and Google. Those are the places the Pearsonites migrated to from the defunct Sailnet email list.

I owned a p-27 for 14 years, and now own a P-33-2. You're correct that Pearson made good sailing and tough boats.