Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009

jandkellis is on a distinguished road
Question Pearson 323 Propane Plumbing

Pearson offered a propane option on the 323 model with two tank storage lockers installed in the port and starboard cockpit settees aft of the main lockers; can anyone advise me as to how these two tanks were plumbed?

Thanks,

Jim Ellis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2009

STTnBama is on a distinguished road
My 365 has the same set up for the tanks. I've never tried to follow the line the whole way, but have noticed it coming out of the bottom of that locker when down in the settee working. On my 365, the entire line should be well within reach with the large main settees it has. But the 323 with a skinnier beam might make it a bit tougher.
Old 01-23-2009

OasisII is on a distinguished road
Only one tank is plumbed

My P323 has only one tank plumbed. The other is merely storage for the spare tank. The port tank has a copper line coming from the top out the propane compartment right through to the galley behind the oven. There is a manual shutoff behind the oven.

The original setup had some sort of antiquated liquid leak detector attached aft of the regulator before leaving the propane compartment. Last year I had a modern (Trident) solonoid switch installed in place of the leak detector.

Also, bear in mind that my vessel is hull #2. I have learned that many improvemnts were made along the way.

Mike

Last edited by OasisII; 01-23-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2009

Mike,

Congratulations on Hull #2! Thanks for the input; I suspected that the second locker was merely storage. That solves many problems for me. Did Pearson use a flexible pigtail and regulator attached to the inside of the locker?

I appreciate your help,

Jim
Old 01-23-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OasisII View Post
My P323 has only one tank plumbed. The other is merely storage for the spare tank. The port tank has a copper line coming from the top out the propane compartment right through to the galley behind the oven. There is a manual shutoff behind the oven.

The original setup had some sort of antiquated liquid leak detector attached aft of the regulator before leaving the propane compartment. Last year I had a modern (Trident) solonoid switch installed in place of the leak detector.

Also, bear in mind that my vessell is hull #2. I have learned that many improvemnts were made along the way.

Mike
ABYC, NFPA and NMMA prohibit manual valves within accomodation spaces or indeed any connections, joints or juctions other than at the appliance.

Propane is a very safe fuel if installed properly. Installation is not rocket science but if you do not have access to ABYC or NFPA standards its better left to someone who knows how not to blow themselves up
Old 01-23-2009

STTnBama is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention that only one of my tank lockers has a operating tank in it. I think I have chain for my stern anchor in the other one Ha.
Old 01-23-2009

Original was not flexible pigtail

Jim: The original setup did not have a flexible pigtail. It is now flexible hose and a new regulator. That 5lb tank lasts a whole season for me, so I use the spare propane locker to store a couple of the little green canisters for the grill.

Boatpoker:

The new install was done professionally as I did not trust myself to do it.

If the surveyor that I hired knew what he was doing, I probably wouldn't have purchased the boat. I should have known better when he kept telling me: "If I stay here long enough, the boat will talk to me.... I will learn a lot about it!"

Many things have now been corrected at much expense.
I love the boat. Better yet, the admiral likes it so much better than our 1986 Catalina 30 -- so we will keep improving it!

Mike
Old 01-23-2009

Mike,
Thanks; I sailed one for five years in the Eastern Caribbean while living in Puerto Rico and for the money, I'm not sure I could have owned a better first sailboat. It taught me how to sail and I will never have as much fun learning anything as those first years in the Caribbean. I sailed it from PR to St. Maarten and all the stops in between with an electronics package which included a VHF radio and a Combi depth, wind and knotmeter and it never once let me down. We had no bimini, no dodger, no navigation electronics, no auto pilot, no TV, no SSB, no water maker, nor headsail furler but we had 12 to 14 knots every single day out of the east, warm clear water and and anchorage around every headland; who could ask for more. The 323 is truly a special boat. I traded it in Long Island Sound for a Bristol 40 which I lived and cruised aboard for five years and there were many things I liked about the 323 better than the Bristol. I bought another 323 two years ago and now sail it in the sounds of Eastern North Carolina.
Thanks again for your reply,
Jim
Old 01-24-2009

One of these days, I need to post some photos

Jim:

If I ever get around to it, I will post some photos. We have had the boat for 2 summers. Since then added new PHC head, S1 autopilot, ST60 tridata, Bimini, new cushions, 2 sets of 45 foot chain for the ground tackle, new stereo, and lots of repairs including the solenoid switch/regulator.

Can you believe that the boat had only 5 feet of chain when I purchased it?

The stereo was an original AM cassette (no FM). The speakers were those famous Jenson Triaxials from the 70's. The speakers disintegrated when I pulled them out -just turned to dust!

Next project is a new headliner. The original had some buckling from previous leaks. I took a panel down a few weeks ago and found that it was constructed of old fashioned wall paneling with either vinyl or contact paper laminated to it. It also disintegrated into powder and flakes when I pulled it down.

Wiring will be after that.

My boat, being one of the first also has a pull down sink in the head. I think most others have a swing out sink.

Fairwinds,

Mike
Old 01-25-2009

Mike,

As you continue your restoration, keep D&R Marine in mind. Rudy Nickerson in Ma. once worked for Pearson and purchased much of the inventory for both Pearson and O'Day boats when they folded. He is at sales@drmarine.com and is a good source for boat specific parts and pieces.

He is my last hope for the propane lockers and will do a search when the snow melts.

Jim