SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pearson (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pearson/)
-   -   1972 Pearson 33 - owner comments sought (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pearson/55514-1972-pearson-33-owner-comments-sought.html)

mbertsche123 06-20-2009 12:01 AM

1972 Pearson 33 - owner comments sought

Greetings all,
It's been a while since I've posted anything here, so I'll re-introduce myself.
Mark Bertsche sailing P26 Trillium #1701 out of Port Henry, NY on beautiful Lake Champlain. After 6 years with my P26 I'm ready to move up. I've got my eye on a P33 '72, 15 hp Westerbeke, tired rigging (old Schaeffer furler), sound hull and deck that I can tell. I'll be retiring in 2 years and my intent is the ICW, keys Bahamas and back each year. I have a couple of questions for owners.
Is the P33 a fairly stiff sailor?
Is the 15hp Westerbeke sufficient for the 12,000lb displacement?
Will I be able to sail to wind, board up in most cases? I know I'll loose some leeway, but I'll be cruising by then.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Mark
P26 Trillium #1701

DrB 06-25-2009 07:43 AM

Can't help on the sailing...

qualities of the P33, but I heard it is a fairly decent boat and when raced in it's PHRF class, can do well, FWIW.

As fara as the Horses for the displacement, I think 15 hp may be a little on the light side. My Pearson 10M has a 27 hp and it displaces about 13,000 lbs. I have heard that the general rule of thumb is 2 hp for every 1000 lb of displacement.

15 HP will get you in and out of the harbor on a light/moderate day, but if you have to push through a lot of current, heavy chop, or strong winds, you may not have the HP to do.

A few years back, I went up a a river with the tide coming out. The river has a natural current of about 3 kts. At max ebb the current can get as high as 6 kts. It must have been close to that when I went up it as I had my motor at full power and was only doing 1 kt (SOG) with a two bladed prop. My hull speed is 7.2. Had I had a smaller motor, I doubt I could have done that.

DrB

mbertsche123 06-25-2009 11:49 PM

DrB,
Thanks for your thoughts. I've made my decision. I have a deposit on her.
I forgot to mention that she does have a 3 bladed prop - that should help.
As for PHRF, I probably won't be racing at all. She's going to make a great Good Old Boat with a little work.
Regards
Mark

mbertsche123 06-25-2009 11:55 PM

DrB,
What are these "Rep Points" and how do I give them to you? Things have changed a bit on this forum since I used to participate. It seems like Sailnet's
servers have slowed down a great deal since the old days?

gmac1220 01-20-2010 02:59 PM

mark,
I know this thread is a year old, but I wnated to check and see how you're liking your Pearson 33? I recently purchased a P-33 hull number 175, and am working through some improvements and corrections. I'm interested to see if you've had any challenges with your compression post.

Gary

mbertsche123 04-09-2010 10:21 PM

The Pearson unfortunately failed survey. The foredeck was delamed very seriously and there were several other issues. The sum of which was more than I could handle. It's a shame, because we really liked the boat. Since then I have found another. Unfortunately not a Pearson.
Best of luck with your 33.
Mark:)

BCboy 02-28-2011 11:25 PM

compression post??

Another year has gone by, but I've only just come accross this thread. I have a '72 Pearson 33 hull number 180. Great boat for so many reason's. If Gary is ever comes by to check this thread, maybe he (or someone else :) ) can tell me what a compression post is and what the concern is about it.