SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pearson (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pearson/)
-   -   Pearson 26 outboard suggestions? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pearson/65661-pearson-26-outboard-suggestions.html)

FoggyBottom 06-16-2010 05:34 AM

Pearson 26 outboard suggestions?

Recently bought a P26 with an 10+ year old, 8hp Nissan. It has a gear/throttle remote control box in the engine well. No tiller control on the engine, it's locked in a single position so we can't use it for steering. We can only steer using the boat's tiller.
Looking to upgrade to 9.8hp (at least) but didn't know if this set-up was better than a standard outboard with a tiller control (gear and throttle on tiller) with the ability to steer using the motor rather than having the motor locked down and steering only with the rudder.

Any suggestions or comments?

Tempest 06-16-2010 06:01 AM

I would prefer the tiller contol engine. The pearson is a heavy boat and the ability to steer with the engine comes in handy when getting in and out of a tight slips or docking and Backing into a slip

I teach sailing on 26' pearsons and we have the tiller control/throttle on the engine. I see only positives in this setup.

FoggyBottom 06-18-2010 03:26 PM

Follow up question on Pearson engine

tempest - thanks for input. I've had some feedback that suggests the longer shaft, either 20" or 25". Do you have a suggestion on length and HP?

We're in a tough slip. Current is perpendicular to the keel at all times, depending on tide. To top it off we're novices.

Slofut 06-21-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoggyBottom (Post 614583)
tempest - thanks for input. I've had some feedback that suggests the longer shaft, either 20" or 25". Do you have a suggestion on length and HP?

We're in a tough slip. Current is perpendicular to the keel at all times, depending on tide. To top it off we're novices.

Foggy,
Get the longest shaft you can find. Ours has an Evinrude Sail 9.9. It's very powerful when running on both cylinders but that's not often. But in even moderate seas the motor comes out of the water. It looks to have at least a 6" extension.
Bill

KindOfBlue 06-22-2010 03:40 AM

I had a 9.9 Honda on my old p26. This engine worked just fine, however the prop did come out of the water if I got waked. 9.9 was enough HP for the p26.

Tempest 06-22-2010 07:17 AM

Foggy,

I agree with both the above posts. If you get any kind of bounce: wakes, seaway, heading to windward etc.... you want the long shaft.

fendertweed 06-24-2010 03:52 PM

agree, longest shaft you can get... I have a Merc 15 long shaft on our P26 and despite Pearson's advice of 10hp max, the extra is useful at times, sometimes not even enough, as when fighting 25 kts on the nose in the wide Potomac running against the tide, 3-4' waves with short choppy crests ... barely able to make 1.5 kts at full throttle before cavitation started and I had to just turn around and duck in behind a point for the day to let things calm down.