Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011
Pearson One-Design sailor

Pensker is on a distinguished road
Outboard shaft length for Pearson 26?

I have a '79 Pearson One Design ("Drala") and am in the market for a new outboard--probably an 8 hp 4-stroke. Drala was not in the water in '10 and in fall '09 I junked the old 7.5 Mercury without confirming the shaft length! Duh. I just assumed it was long shaft. But, was it?! I was looking at a 9.9 Yamaha the other day--used, '96 I think--and it looked huge and the issue of shaft length came up again. The seller said that too long a shaft (lordy, I'm tired of writing that!) could push the bow down. I was worried that the weight of a 9.9 would be its own problem. I'm seeing from other posts and sites that lots of sailors have 9.9s and even larger hp on their Pearson 26s. I am on Lake Champlain and don't fight current particularly, or waves that much. And I use the outboard as little as possible. Advice?! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2011
BoatSmith

Boatsmith is on a distinguished road
The shaft length would normally be a 25" shaft to keep the prop in the water more. If your current mount is set up for a twenty and you don't have to deal with waves then a 20" should be ok. If you don't need to power against currents or high winds then a 6 hp would be fine. If you need to motor home against 30 knots you will want the 9.9. JMO
Old 03-28-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Regardless of the hp you choose, you want the longest shaft available. Trust me on this. "Long shaft" means a 20" shaft (measured from the attachment point to the anti-vent plate below); standard shaft length is 15". At least one manufacturer (I forget which one) makes an extra long shaft of 25". You NEED at least a long shaft, but you WANT the extra long shaft if at all possible. The slightest chop or sharp turn could bring the prop out of water, even with a long shaft (happens all the time with my boat). Maybe the freeboard at the transom of your boat is low enough so that you can get the prop of a long shaft far enough below the surface and still have access to the throttle from the cockpit. If so, then you don't have to spend the extra money for the extra long shaft. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2011

Thank you! So, this business about pushing the bow down into the water if the propeller is too deep in the water might be apocryphal--it came to me from a powerboat mechanic--?
Old 03-29-2011

I can't think of how a prop would be "too deep". Just think of how low the prop is on a boat with inboard power.
Old 03-29-2011

Quite. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2011

ne57301 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
I can't think of how a prop would be "too deep". Just think of how low the prop is on a boat with inboard power.
I can.

Be very careful of the sweep of the P26 rudder, it's a lot closer to the bottom of the outboard than you might realize.

Attached Thumbnails
Outboard shaft length for Pearson 26?-p26.jpg  
1984 Pearson 34 hull #67
1978 Pearson 30 hull #1049

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Freeport, ME
Old 04-23-2011
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
I used to have a P26 and if I didn't adjust my standard shaft Honda 9.9 just right, the prop would hit the top of the rudder. I don't think that you can go with a long shaft.
Old 04-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
I used to have a P26 and if I didn't adjust my standard shaft Honda 9.9 just right, the prop would hit the top of the rudder. I don't think that you can go with a long shaft.
I had forgotten that the standard outboard mount on the P26 was a center transom cut out. My main experience on the P26 was a long time ago, in two different boats: one was an inboard-powered model, and one had an off-set mounted outboard bracket. I never questioned why the outboard was on a bracket when there was that built in cut out available; now I know. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2011

ne57301 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
I had forgotten that the standard outboard mount on the P26 was a center transom cut out. My main experience on the P26 was a long time ago, in two different boats: one was an inboard-powered model, and one had an off-set mounted outboard bracket. I never questioned why the outboard was on a bracket when there was that built in cut out available; now I know. Thanks for the info.
There's another possibility for the motor bracket on that P26. I know of some that the owner thought 'bigger is always better' so they put 15HP or bigger on. You just can't get a P26 up on a plane so all that power just went into rolling the transom out of the back of the boat. Check 'em out, you'll see lots of weak P26 transoms for this reason. 10HP is plenty.
1984 Pearson 34 hull #67
1978 Pearson 30 hull #1049

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Freeport, ME