SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

pearson countess

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sailor1924 
#1 ·
I am looking for anyone that has any info on the Pearson Countess, How they sail, how they handle, problem areas, anything that you can let me know will be appreceated. I am in the process of buying one, and want to know all I can find out about them.

#3 ·
Yes, I bought one out of Santa Cruz Calf. I have been working on it, more than using it. It needed some TLC. I did take it out once, sails very nice, handles well, or at least the one time. Hopeing to get out more late this year. There is a site for the Countess, I made contact with the keeper of the site, and so far he has not responded back again. That being said, there is a fair amount of info on the site. I do get alot of comments on her.
Dave

#5 ·
Dave it seems I can't send you a private message as I don't have enough posts yet so I will send it to you here.
Hi again Dave,
Can you please tell me what you paid for her and her condition? I am looking at the one in Thailand as I live in Greece and SE Asia is where I plan on keeping my future boat. Can you also tell me what to look for? Weak points? Good points? Hope you get all your work done as soon as possible so you can enjoy your new boat, but I imagine even just looking at her beautiful lines at the yard must give you great pleasure.
Fair winds.

My email is gvolos at yahoo dot com

Thank you.

#8 ·
I do not mind sharing, I paid $42,000 for her. She has the original motor, but seems to run strong. The hull is sound, and no blisters to speek of ( there were three pin head size ). The guy that I bought from, had started to redue the wiring, and it needs to be redone. I need to replace the fuel tanks ( they were orig, and made of black iron ). Also the water tanks need to be redone. I want to replace the booms, I do not like wood booms, and want to change the sheeting arrangement.
These boats were built tough. That having been said, they are forty six years old, so how they have been cared for make a difference, When doing the bottom of mine, I found that she had been grounded fairly hard at some time in the past. The good news, she was repaired well by whoever did the work. They were state of the art boats back in sixty five, but if orig., they need to be replaced. My wife, seems to really like the space, I sold a Pacific Seacraft 31 Creelock, so this is huge. Prior to that, we ahd a Pearson 35, again, by comparison this is huge. Checking all of the chain plates, rigging, fuel tanks, water tanks, and all systems related to those would be the basics. I find that this boat motors very well, and Alden was offended at it being called a motor sailer, he called it a full powered aux sail boat, and it does sail well, it will never keep up with the new boats, but she will catch every eye in the harbor, and if the weather is bad, she will be more comfortable than the new boats.
By the way, check the rudder ( its wood ), rudder post, and steering gears to make sure they are all in good condition. These are my thoughts, I am certain that someone out there has others. Please keep me posted, and stay in touch, dave@iuoe286.org

#9 ·
I do not mind sharing, I paid $42,000 for her. She has the original motor, but seems to run strong. The hull is sound, and no blisters to speek of ( there were three pin head size ). The guy that I bought from, had started to redue the wiring, and it needs to be redone. I need to replace the fuel tanks ( they were orig, and made of black iron ). Also the water tanks need to be redone. I want to replace the booms, I do not like wood booms, and want to change the sheeting arrangement.
These boats were built tough. That having been said, they are forty six years old, so how they have been cared for make a difference, When doing the bottom of mine, I found that she had been grounded fairly hard at some time in the past. The good news, she was repaired well by whoever did the work. They were state of the art boats back in sixty five, but if orig., they need to be replaced. My wife, seems to really like the space, I sold a Pacific Seacraft 31 Creelock, so this is huge. Prior to that, we ahd a Pearson 35, again, by comparison this is huge. Checking all of the chain plates, rigging, fuel tanks, water tanks, and all systems related to those would be the basics. I find that this boat motors very well, and Alden was offended at it being called a motor sailer, he called it a full powered aux sail boat, and it does sail well, it will never keep up with the new boats, but she will catch every eye in the harbor, and if the weather is bad, she will be more comfortable than the new boats.
By the way, check the rudder ( its wood ), rudder post, and steering gears to make sure they are all in good condition. These are my thoughts, I am certain that someone out there has others. Please keep me posted, and stay in touch, dave@iuoe286.org

#10 ·
I HAVE A COUNTESS THAT I HAVE GUTTED AND 95% RESTORED? IT IS A GREAT BOAT FOR CRUSING AND HAS A DESIGN THAT NEW BOATS ARE TRYING TO DUPLICATE. There are issues that have to be taken care of and require more time than money.Fuel tanks,chain plates,and deck core are the main projects. Ihave been through every inch of the boat hundreds of times and can give advice on any projects you undertake. I am on my 4th year of restoration but am going way beyond a simple fix up that you could do to just get crusing especially if you are young and willing to rough it or work as you go. The hull is built like a tank with 1/2 to a full inch hand lay up on all surfaces. The deck is so thick that wet core is not that important. Ifound all origional fittings sound and almost all added ones leaking. You will love the open salon interior and large windows. Any questions contact Phil@ bbcdocks@ymail.com

#11 ·
Hello fellow Countess Owners:
I know this is an older thread and wish success to those refitting their boats.
I too am working on a Countess. I would like to hear of any resources others have found for bits and pieces that are need to complete the boat. Specifically I need the screw in fair-leads for the flush deck fittings for the jib, and I would appreciate any resources to repair a fixed light port located in the forward stbd locker: what kind of glass, the inner trim ring is cracked and needs repair or replacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.