SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pearson 35 - mainsheet design

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  roverhi 
#1 ·
Hi,
I recently purchased a 73' Pearson 35 and the running rigging is in poor shape and trying to figure out the best mainsheet design for this boat.
Currently has a 4:1 purchase, line runs back to the mast and then to a dedicated winch and cleat. Our preivous 2 sailboats had a typical mainsheet design with a 4:1 purchase and cam at the bottom fiddle, in fact I have notice one P35 had the same simple purchase design.
When I calculate the mainsheet load, at 20 to 25 knots, it has a load of +/-1,300 lbs / divide by 4 = 325 lbs.

Any thoughts or existing P35 owners out there? It appears that a winch is the correct method... It's a lot of money and just want to get it right.
thanks

- Patrick

#4 ·
Has anyone used a papoose double ended mainsheet system? Having a double end sheet one leading through a 5:1 purchase and other leading back to a dedicated winch. Using either the purchase and cam as needed and using the winch or just trimming closer to the wheel which on a P35 is forward near the cabin.

PAPOOSE DOUBLE ENDED 5:1 MAINSHEET SYSTEM

#5 ·
I've got a 5:1 with a cam on mine, so far so good, having the main sheet on the cabin top forward of the helm and the jib sheets aft makes it hard to adjust everthing at the same time with the helmsman in the way, if you were racing and had crew for it the winch would be better but cruising with just two I like the cam on the fiddles better, I can rig it both ways at the same time if I ever need/want to.
Good to see more P-35 s on here.

#8 ·
I sailed most of my life on Lake Ontario (Upstate NY) but we moved down to Virginia about 6 years, sold our sailboat in NY - rasing kids, etc... Know that our kids are little bit older, we decided to get a sailboat down here so... long story short, we just purchased the P35 and is located on the Chesapeake Bay.
I see that you're from Maine. I use to camp up (at and around Hermits Island) there when I was a kid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.