Asking for Pearson 32 Help - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-07-2011 Thread Starter

Asking for Pearson 32 Help

Hello,

I'm Looking at a Pearson 32 to purchase and I need a little advice. The original engine has been removed to rebuild. One question; is 11hp enough, this boat will be on the great lakes. should I use this opportunity to repower? engine is the standard universal.

Another question; What do you like and dislike about this boat ? I've read as much as I could find about it. Any gotchas?

Any info and thoughts are eagerly sought!

Thanks,

Mark
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-07-2011

That's a lot of boat for 11 HP. I would want at least 20.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-08-2011

great boat, i have a2gm20f in her with a folding prop.i would not want anything smaller . hull#20
post #4 of 15 Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter

Norsearayder, did you install that engine, or was it on the boat when you bought it? If you installed it, why the Yanmar, what prop (size and pitch) did you use. Any tricks that I would find helpful?

Mark
post #5 of 15 Old 08-09-2011

Mark - I have Pearson 32 #10 - bought earlier this year, so far I have mostly good things to say. I also have a 2GM20F, and it is plenty of power, although mine is not pitched properly so I cannot get to recommended operating rpms. there are conflicting opinions on how much of an issue this is,

are you cruising or racing? My only other boat was a 23' southcoast so I have limited comparisons, but I would say for cruising, she is a little small, esp in the v-berth, and mine does not have pressurized water or a shower. ventilation is poor.

for racing, i would say she is very good, definitely consider an asymmetric spinnaker and removable sprit pole, I wish i had an adjustable backstay. i have not raced her long enough to decide if she races to her rating easily (I am not good enough to get there)!

Norsearayder - I thought you had some documentation also, manual and more - I would love to have more than what I posted a few months ago - can you share yours?

Thanks

Sandy
post #6 of 15 Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter

Sandy,

I don't race like I used to, but I do want to do a few, Got two teenage girls, want them to get more sailing in, we are on the Great Lakes, (Huron), and will do some trips to the North Channel, Canada etc. This boat is nice that it is as delivered from the factory, and not hacked up, but I will need to add equipment. I'm going to do the usual rigging changes, cabin top winches, stoppers, another set of winches etc.

It would be nice to see your boat and its layout of the deck!

Thanks for responding!

Mark
post #7 of 15 Old 08-09-2011

Mark - Did you buy the boat?

Yes - mine has halyards run back to the cockpit, with cabintop winches for same deck organizers etc..

It's bizarre because in pictures I've seen from pearson literature some boats appear to have cabin top winches standard AND mast winches, and others have just mast winches plus genoa tension winch just aft of the mast. Likewise I've seen pictures of boats with the wheel all the way aft in the cockpit, and others mid-cockpit, and I've heard from people who say their's was delivered with a tiller. What's your setup like? I'm equally interested in the 'stock' setup as you are in the mods! I'll try to take some pictures soon.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter

I'm doing due dilligence right now now, the engine thing is a big concern, the 11 horse is out and needs a rebuild, so I'm looking at options for that. This boat has the teak toerail, with tracks aft, cabin top winch, and a winch on the mast. Complete teak and holly sole below. Minimal sail complement. No chute, pole, or rigging for it. Roller furling, its thought that it wasn't ever really cruised at all. Nothing below to indicate anything like that. Probably just was day sailed around Long Island.

Mark
post #9 of 15 Old 08-09-2011

So you are going to ship it from NY back to the lakes?

I am surprised it has teak toe-rails - I thought they all had perfed aluminum - are you sure it's a 32 and not a 323? Do you have any pictures?
post #10 of 15 Old 08-09-2011 Thread Starter

forgot to mention it has a wheel, although I do like tillers better! Wheel is aft in the cockpit as well.

Mark

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.