Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011

FoggyBottom is on a distinguished road
Question P26-redirect halyards to cockpit

Does anyone have any photos, diagrams or suggestions on running the mainsheet and jib halyards from the mast to the cockpit on a P26? I'm not sure what the best arrangement of blocks, deck organizers or clutches would be to make singlehandling easier.

Last edited by FoggyBottom; 11-27-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyBottom View Post
Does anyone have any photos, diagrams or suggestions on running the mainsheet and jib halyards from the mast to the cockpit on a P26? ...
The mainsheet is already in the cockpit. It is attached to the traveller which runs across the cockpit between the seating area and the outboard motor well.

On a serious note, don't do it. You would need turning blocks near the mast, winches and cleats or stoppers on the cabintop. The Pearson 26 is a great little boat as designed. The stepped-up cabin top will complicate your intended layout. Why put additional hardware through the balsa-cored deck and put stresses on parts of the boat outside the original design?

Learn to go to the mast to raise and lower the sails.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 11-28-2011 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2011

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
^^^

I don't necessarily agree about not doing it.

My P26 has had blocks (2 blocks) on the cabin top and 2 Lewmar 8s on the cabin top aft end since the 70s.... no problem, works great.

Much more convenient to have lines led to the cockpit and there's no real problem w/ the winches, etc., getting in the way.

As seen here:

Pearson 26 #1200

Last edited by fendertweed; 11-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2011

Thank you Fendertweed. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I have some physical limitations so getting on the cabintop was not a great solution for me.
Old 12-03-2011

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
I have aPearson 26 One Design (low straight cabin top) and also have thought about rigging both halyards to the cockpit. Question: Are winches really needed to raise the main and jib sails when rigged this way. I figured a couple turning blocks at the mast and a pair of clutches toward the rear of cabin top. Seems to me the amount of purchase required would not change with this setup. Am I missing something?
Old 12-03-2011

Gary M is on a distinguished road
I would definitely take you halyards back o the cabin top. Much superior arrangement. And yes you will need winches too get proper tension on the luff of both sails. A couple of Lewmar 16 ST would work and you should be able to pick up a used set.

If all you wanted to take back were the two halyards you could get away with one winch but I would suggest that you consider possibly a reefing line and possibly some others.

Have Fun
Old 12-06-2011

Good point on the reefing line. I was planning on using the standard cockpit winches with clutches on the cabin top. I had a 23' Ensign with that arrangement and didn't have any trouble with using the cockpit winches, but if you think it would be difficult to get the tension I'll rethink it. I may go ahead and try it without and add the winches later if it becomes unbearable. I won't be able to report on progess until spring though.
Old 01-23-2012

Old 02-22-2012
Not So Junior Member

BCboy is on a distinguished road
My Pearson 33 has a very similar cabin top. Both of my halyards run through turning blocks that are fastened through the cabintop. They lead through cam locks that are just forward of a small, single speed winch, similar to Fendertweed's setup. I think you will definitely need a halyard winch (and it will be useful for other hauling tasks too.) Everything has been installed with backing plates inside the cabin. Very convenient, much safer than climing up on the house and pretty much a necessity when sailing solo - I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 02-22-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
With the short days and six day work weeks I haven't had time to finish but I did get started. I made up two 1/8" aluminum plates and shaped them to the contour of the mast by bending whit clamps and banging with a rubber mallet. I attached a pair of eyestraps on each plate with countersunk flathead SS 1/4-20 screws from the backside. Then pop riveted each plate to the base of the mast with 12 3/16 aluminum rivets. So now I have four turning blocks at the mast base and didn't have to drill holes in the cabin top. I also installed new Spinlock double deck organizers, one port side one starboard side of cabin top to route the lines aft. Installed a pair of used Lewmar #8 winches I found used on Craigslist for $65 each. All I have left to do is install the two new Garhauer double line clutches and replace the halyards with new line that is an extra 10 feet in length.

Tags
p26 , pearson 26